topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA - Update on RRunner  (Read 5861 times)

jovejupiter

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA - Update on RRunner
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:27 AM »
Hi,

I while ago I needed a program to run another program at a random time within a set time period.

The application was a type of training exercise where I wanted a program to run a set of events at a random time.

PhilKC responded and produced a very useful utility named RRunner which works very well.

I now need a slightly more sophisticated version:

When the program starts, or is running and reaches a preset start time, it should wait a random length of time (up to some preset limit), select a random program from a specified folder and run it. It should then wait another random length of time (up to some preset limit), select another program at random from a specified folder and run it.
This should continue until either a preset end time occurs or the program is closed.

The idea being that each of the programs in the specified folder will result in a different set of events occuring. These will appear at random throughout the specified period.

Added desirable functions would be the ability to run the program from either a Windows interface or from the command line (with switches for the start time, end time, folder and time limit for delays) and also the ability to have more than one version of the programme running at the same time to have different time periods, delays and folders.

Thanks in advance

- Tony

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA - Update on RRunner
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Here's the link to the original thread.

Ok, so it's something that will run a random program from some folder, in random intervals, right? (being that there is a max possible interval)

jovejupiter

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:42 AM »
Yes, That's correct.
Each program in the folder will lead to a set of events which the user needs to repond to. They need to be selected from the available programs at random and the timing needs to be random - That way the user can't predict what's going to happen or when.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:44 AM »
Ok, it should be no problem doing this.
If nobody does it before, i'll do it tomorrow.

PS: may i ask why would this be useful?

jovejupiter

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48 AM »
Sorry about being slow to reply - Its been a hectic few weeks.

The usefulness is in the unpredictability of the timing. In the real world there might be pop up messages or other alerts and events occuring at random times which the user needs to repond to. I can get the computer to simulate the events, but I at the moment I can't randomise the order or timing of the events unless I laboriously set up timer events for each one with manually chosen timings.

The suggested programme would make life a lot easier.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:06 AM »
I should have done this already.. I'll get to it ASAP!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Done!

Run it like this:

RandomRun.ahk desktop 10

And it'll open randomly all executables in the desktop folder, waiting up to 10 seconds between each one.