topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Aquaria (An independetly developed game beneath the ocean)  (Read 6027 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Aquaria (An independetly developed game beneath the ocean)
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:47 PM »
I'm surprised no one has posted this here yet, as Aquaria has been out for a couple months now.

Aquaria by Bit-Blot is an independently developed game that exudes brilliance, style and beauty.

It's an underwater exploration/adventure game that really seems to hale back to the glory days of SNES adventuring--but is an experience all its own.  It features a large, open ocean for exploration.  Rather than walking around land in a 3d over head view (ala zelda) or running and jumping (ala metroid), you swim about an open ocean surrounded by gorgeous sea life (hostile and benign alike).  There's a great variety of things to discover -- materials from killed sea life to use for cooking (lots of recipes to discover), treasures/decor for your home, new outfits (most of which are not merely cosmetic but lend you different assistance, from healing to armor).

The games ambience (both aesthetic and aural) is positively stunning.  It's a fun and immersive game well worth checking out.  I haven't finished it yet (I think I'm getting close). . . have bene playing it rather leisurely and have logged 25 hours in game time.  It's fun, yet difficult; brilliant. The pacing is a bit different -- as it's more open than most games I've played, making it easy to find yourself unsure what to do next.  But I've found it a positively enjoyable experience.

A massive ocean world, teeming with life and filled with ancient secrets. Join Naija, a lone underwater dweller in search of her family, as she explores the depths of Aquaria. She'll travel from hidden caves, shrouded in darkness, to beautiful, sunlit oases, all lovingly handcrafted by its two creators.

Naija's story, narrated fully with voice overs, will become yours, as you join her on this magnificent adventure.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Aquaria (An independetly developed game beneath the ocean)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:49 PM »
attach screenshots with such posts please!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:01 PM »
Well, I've been expecting the game for months. I still have the demo around here, I have to find some time to try it, and then get it out of my small buy list. I've been waiting for some company to announce a Spanish boxed version of the game, but at this rate, I'll have to end up buying it online (em, w00t, only 21 € :-*)

I guess nobody talked about it, because despite being indie, it's not freeware. BTW, one of of the developers, Derek Yu, is also responsible for the freeware game Eternal Daughter.

allen, if you don't add some shots, I have a couple of beautiful ones around here :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 07:09 PM by Lashiec »

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 08:39 PM »
I purchased the game the moment it was released (I was sitting here refreshing their website all day long), and I absolutely loved it. It's one of the best games released last year, indie or not :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Sounds like one of the few games that girls would really enjoy too.
How about a mini-review anyone?