topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Scrollable Desktop Like a Folder  (Read 22389 times)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: Scrollable Desktop Like a Folder
« on: January 11, 2008, 11:59 PM »
I regularly use Pitaschio and its list view for the desktop. However, the once you reach the bottom of the screen, the new icons are placed at the top again, next to the my computer icons, forming a second column. Moreover, the new icon's sometimes overlap the text of the first column of icons.

I would like to know if it would be possible to set the entire desktop to act like a scrollable window. I would like my desktop to be like a fully open and maximized window of Windows Explorer in list or details view with a scrollbar on the right so that I can scroll down to see the remaining files. However, I would still like to retain the ability to use wallpapers and I do not wish for the wallpaper itself to scroll.

My searching on the Internet has brought me to a program called <a href="http://www.nearestexit.com/sdesk">SDesk</a>, but even after installing it and reading the help files, I am not too sure if it does what I need. SDesk seems allow the desktop size to be enlarged beyond the visible area of the screen and then lets the user zoom in on specific regions of the desktop.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Scrollable Desktop Like a Folder
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 01:04 AM »
WinScroll. Download English version HERE. Not sure if it works well on a multi-monitor setup. Works on my XP machine.

here's the English help file...

2008-01-12_151213.jpgSOLVED: Scrollable Desktop Like a Folder
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:47 AM by jgpaiva »

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 04:02 AM »
WinScroll is a nice program, but is there a way to make it scroll the desktop icons? It seems to only scroll the opened Windows themselves, which I actually don't want to scroll. My actual problem is this : When Pitaschio turns desktop icons into list view, it puts a limit on the length of the filename before it starts to overlap with an icon of the next column. See the below screenshot of a sample desktop.

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]
On the other hand, a typical Windows folder does not suffer this problem, regardless of the length of the file name. If I turn the wheel, the window just keeps scrolling horizontally (in list view) or vertically (in details view) regardless of how many icons I have. I would like my desktop to have this feature of Windows folders. In fact, a desktop that looks like the below minus the toolbars and status bars and with support for wallpapers would be nice.
[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:46 AM by jgpaiva »

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Could you upload WinScroll? (website offline)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Sure, here it is.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 07:43 PM »
you can setup desktop views here:
http://www.extradesktops.com/

its free i think..

to be specific, if your desktop if full of files, a scrollbar will appear on your desktop.. you can also thumb view on desktop.. but these features will appear only on your selected desktop folder which is overlaying the real desktop. from https://www.donation...x.php?topic=10757.25

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:42 AM »
I found out about Ave's Extra Desktops before, but for some reason, it does not work on my PC. I can't even see the 'configure desktops...' options upon right clicking the desktop.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20 PM »
cool links but maybe this thread should be marked, "Whoa!, big-sized pixels ahead" :P

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 08:47 AM »
cool links but maybe this thread should be marked, "Whoa!, big-sized pixels ahead" :P
Yes, lanux, you're right. I've modified the 2 posts above and replaced [attach] with [attachthumb].

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Thanks for that substitution jgpaiva, I don't know BBCode that well yet, but I'm learning.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 06:30 PM »
No problem, icekin! That's what we're here for :P

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 06:37 PM »
btw, there are more DC-specific tips on inline insertion of images here.. :)

new forum feature coded - ability to inline link attachments!

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 03:32 AM »
I found out about Ave's Extra Desktops before, but for some reason, it does not work on my PC. I can't even see the 'configure desktops...' options upon right clicking the desktop.

you have to install the "visual C++ 2005" first then "restart" before installing "Ave's Extra Desktop" (uninstall Extra desktop first if you haven't install Visual C++ 2005 dependencies yet or it will not work in that sequence.)

right clicking the desktop will show "configure extra desktop" and it can only handle 2 commands for now (e.g: Ctr+1), still bad and lots of bugs, but its the lightest application solution as of now.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 05:23 PM »
I recently found a solution to this problem without using Ave's ExtraDesktops. There is an <a href="http://www.autohotke...ic.php?p=49814#49814">AHK script here</a> that does more or less what I want. When I press Windows Key + 4, I get a details view on the desktop, which is great. There is even sortable headings like Name, Size, Type, Date, etc. just like a real folder. Unfortunately, the selected column is grey in color, much like it appears on standard folders.

1) Is there  any way to avoid coloring the selected column a different color on all folders?

2) Is there a way to make this details view appear as the default view on the desktop. Right now, every time I have to press Windows Key + 4 to switch to this view, the default view being large icons.

3) Is there anyway to make the folder scroll? On the AHK post, it says the desktop should scroll like a folder, but in my case, it does not seem to. The remaining desktop items simply go below the screen and cannot be accessed.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 07:48 PM »
I know this thread is very old, but I thought I'd post an update on it anyway. I recently came across a program called Fences. Fences allow icons to be placed within specified areas of the desktop and lets then scroll, without scrolling the entire screen like WinScroll. This is great, because I can now create a single fence the size of the desktop and place any number of icons in it and watch it scroll. This was what I was trying to achieve. Unfortunately, fences does not support details view or even list view, only large icons at the moment. I tried combining it with something like Pitaschio, which can do list view, but the end result was not that good, with icons overlapping etc.

Fences also has a paid version, Fences Pro, which allows sorting icons by date, type, filename etc. I have not tried it, so I am not sure how good it is. For someone not looking to use list view on the desktop, Fences is the best way to have unlimited icons on the desktop.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 04:19 PM »
i've found what i am looking for. But it is only available in vista and win7, a japanese programmer who make it possible and as a lighter alternative of Ave's E.D. Some how, extra desktop is discontinued and this one doesn't support list and detailed view. Being an extra feature of its program, it is still great for people who works on desktop folders by its category. try it here PopUp Icon for vista/7 (Xp version doesn't have switching desktop) for more info about its functionality, click here

links are translated to english via google translate
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:45 PM by psionics »