ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: log searcher in real-time

<< < (2/2)

Gothi[c]:
The xtail utility can follow changes to (log)files in real time (and even do some color highlighting if you want). Now apply some UNIX mentality and COMBINE that tool with another to provide the network functionality. Eg:

xtail + sshfs

(sshfs lets you mount the filesystem on a remote ssh connection, and thus allows you to use it as a local one, with no additional requirements on the other end.)

xtail + remote syslog

[ just run the above in a bash script in cygwin on windows, get a commandline utility for playing sound files, and incorporate that in your script as well. ]

paulo_andre:
looks good, but here's another problem... I have one server with no ssh connection, it must be a telnet connection and sshfs only supports ssh. I can't install anything on the server (except my own programs that are needed, after being reviewed), so it's still no good. Also the sound was quite important, it would allow me to do other things while waiting for the log and as soon as I heard it I knew I had to check.
Another "problem" is that sshfs is linux-only, to run it in Windows I'll have to install and use cygwin. This is a little more complicated that what I wanted.
However, this solves some problems on the other servers, so I'll test it and start using it for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version