ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: log searcher in real-time

(1/2) > >>

paulo_andre:
Hi! I just found this site and I could use a little help on automating some command I use a lot.
So here's what I do:
1-program something in a unix machine
2-run the program in several unix machines
3-watch the log for all programs in that unix machine
4-If my program aborted, it will write in the log, otherwise it will write that it completed well.

So I need to watch several logs in real-time (using tail -f logfile) and search for a line with my program in it.
Is it too hard to code some windows app that automatically connects (via telnet or ssh, it can even use putty) to a configurable server, login with a configurable username and password, perform a configurable command (usually always tail -f something, but if it could be a little more flexible...) and then watch the output for a configurable string. If that string is found, play a sound to warn the user and display the line in the screen (no other output needs to be displayed). This to be done with several logs at the same time.
Is this simple enough to be considered a coding snack?
I would do it myself, but the "play sound" part is really important and I only code in unix command line...

mouser:
i'm pretty sure a program like this exists.. but i can't remember the name at the moment.

lanux128:
are you looking for something like this: Tail4Win?

IDEA: log searcher in real-time

• http://www.downloadjunction.com/product/software/134644/index.html

paulo_andre:
nope, that's not what I'm looking for, not even close. Tail4Win can monitor a local file for changes and highlight keywords, what I want is to monitor a remote file over a telnet/ssh connection (or simply monitor the output of that connection after a specified command is entered) and launch a sound when a keyword appears in that file. Still, if you know a program that already does this I'm very interested.

lanux128:
hmm.. i must have misunderstood the question but just hang in there.. once a regular terminal user spots this, you'll be in good hands.. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version