ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What should I do with my audio CDs?

<< < (8/9) > >>

f0dder:
It will, if André implements some of the suggestions that he received upon the release of dbPowerAmp. For the moment you can use Test & Copy in Burst mode if the album is present in Accurate Rip, and returns high values of confidence. It's as good as Secure mode, but much faster (around 22-24X speeds on my drive), handy for those 20 minutes songs :D
-Lashiec (January 13, 2008, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
That still isn't as good as dbPoweramp using C2 error information, though... great thing about it's ripping is that it bursts through your track, and then only re-reads the parts it has to, unlike EAC which is all-or-nothing (bursting, or re-reading each CD frame multiple times). Of course your drive needs (reliable) C2 error reporting for dbPoweramp to work properly, though.

vegas:
Another shout for dbPowerAmp using c2 correction, or just secure mode, ripping all albums on a second pass if they don't show up in AccurateRip to verify the same exact rip.  I couldn't stand getting rid of my cd's ever, collecting them has been too much of an investment, although I am sure the day will come that putting them in storage will be best for saving space.  I have been ripping my collection to big drives and encoding them to Wavpack so they can be transcoded to any lossy format as needed later.

Mark0:
You could use WiFi multimedia devices to play audio and video through your TV/Home Theatre/HiFi systems - I am thinking of going in this direction as it seems stupid to have stuff on my PC (esp. video) that I have to burn to a DVD if I don't want to sit in front of the computer to watch it.-Carol Haynes (January 11, 2008, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Have a look at the Logitech (now, they acquired them some times ago) Slimedevices Squeezebox.
Probably the Best streamer around - with a great community & lots of free software behind it.
Now there's also the new Duet that's very interesting (more intelligence in the remote, basically).

I think though I will wait until these devices start to adopt 802.11n standard because I don't thing b or g format provides sufficient bandwidth or coverage - especially if other people are using the network at the same time for other purposes.
--- End quote ---
Bandwidth isn't really a big problem. Uncompressed Stereo 16bit PCM audio take about 150KB/sec.
So it's about 15KB/sec. if you stream/listen in MP3, or 80-100KB/sec. if you go lossless.

Bye!

Carol Haynes:
Nice devices but ideally I am looking for a combined audio and video streaming device.

The bandwidth problems arise when you want to stream near DVD quality video (at least I suspect that would cause a problem) - esp. if someone else is using the WiFi for file transfers/web surfing/and printing. I haven't worked out the sums but I'd guess you would be pushing it with 802.11b/g standard, not to mention much poorer coverage than 'n' devices. Plus if you have a 'b' or 'g' device on the network it has a knock on effect on all the 'n' devices you are using too. The problem is I live in a stone farm building with 2 foot thick limestone walls - n doesn't seem to have a problem but my last g setup had to have repeaters to get a signal 30 feet from router!

Lashiec:
I wish Slimdevices released a Squeezebox that gave you the option to attach a external hard drive, I'd ditch my Hi-Fi system for it :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version