ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What should I do with my audio CDs?

<< < (5/9) > >>

nosh:
Interesting... I thought wavs would zip up a lot better than that. rar demonstrates its superiority once again...  :Thmbsup:

CWuestefeld:
From the links above, I read the 30,000 foot view of how FLAC works; very interesting. It doesn't seem like voodoo, but MP3 still does. Does anyone have a link that would help me understand how MP3 achieves it's lossy compression?

Lashiec:
It's all math, as always ;D

Of course :). Note that only the second article actually explains MP3 compression, but the others may be necessary to understand all the mumbo jumbo.

Renegade:
I'm bored ;D

So I converted the FLAC files to WAV, and "Made in Japan" takes exactly 774.5 MB. Compressed with ZIP, we take that down to 700.7 MB, and RAR brings it further down, to 506.5 MB.

It's not recommended to play the resulting RAR file ;D
-Lashiec (January 11, 2008, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny that you should mention that... ALSong actually plays ZIP, RAR and ALZ compressed music. :)

RAR is most certainly a much better compression algorithm than deflate or gzip, but you'd end up with about 300MB or so if you'd used FLAC. As always in IT, the answer is "it depends." ;)

Lashiec:
Yeah, actually I dropped the RAR archive in foobar2000, and waited like 5 seconds for the program to access each song (it took much more for the program to parse the file), that's why the last line is there :). Not to mention the time it takes to compress everything, FLAC is MUCH faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version