ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What should I do with my audio CDs?

(1/9) > >>

Ampa:
In the corner of my lounge sits my hifi, and next to that an unstable tower of CDs (about 250 in total).

This evening when I realised that I can't remember the last time I played a CD. I don't mean the last time I listened to music (I have music playing in the house everyday), but the last time that I had played music from an audio CD, taken from my shelf. Why?

Because for several years now, all my new music has been digital, in the form of MP3s.

I listen to MP3s on my computer, in the car, on a portable player, and on my hifi. So why do I keep my original CDs?

Well...

* At one time they were my prized possessions (though now they have little or no monetary value whatsoever)

* Because they are physical objects it feels wrong to get rid of them (a stupid hording / saving-the-planet mentality?)

* What would / could I do with them... Car-boot sale? eBay? Charity shop?
Of course I am assuming that I would rip anything that I still enjoyed to MP3 (I realise that we are entering the murky underworld of keeping the music having scrapped the CD :redface:)

What have other DCers done with their music collections? Do you still cherish your CDs or did you sling them years ago?

Help me decide what to do with mine.

Ampa

Deozaan:
I recently went through and tossed a ton of my CDs.

As to the legality of keeping the MP3s after getting rid of the physical discs, my rationalization is that who is to say you hadn't backed it up and lost the CD? Or you didn't get it from iTunes or other digital music service.

I still have some CDs, but most went in the dumpster because I'm too lazy to try to scrounge up a few bucks by listing them on eBay or going to a pawn/music shop. I'm not even sure if anyone would pay for them.

I suppose you could donate them to your local library...

f0dder:
I keep my CDs, since my NAD C512BEE sounds jut a bit better than my creative audigy (or was it audigy2?) soundcard (and the covers are pretty and they do represent quite substantial investment).

I do rip all my CDs though, but not to MP3 - flac :-*. Yeah it's bigger, but with the harddrive sizes of today, I really don't want to lose quality.

app103:
I have taken stacks of stuff to CD Warehouse. (there is a location in my town)

They will give you cash on the spot for them. They will then re-shrinkwrap them and sell them at a lower price than brand new cd's, in their stores. How much you will get for them depends on the titles and how much they can resell it for.

Most locations will buy CD's, DVD's, games, VHS tapes, and vinyl records.

It's also a great place to buy hard to find stuff that is no longer being distributed by their labels...and get it cheap.

If you are one of those ethical shoppers that refuse to give any of your cash to the RIAA, buying from them will allow you to have what you want without the RIAA getting your money, since they already got their share when it was originally bought new, by the previous owner, and they don't get a penny from the resale of the used items when you buy it.

nosh:
I've picked very few albums from my collection, the ones I couldn't bear to lose and ripped them to flac. The rest are supposed to be ripped later, yet another item on a very long "to-do" list...  :) I'm certainly not chucking them away.

Pick your best and rip them to flac, irrespective of whether you're going to rip them to mp3 or not coz flac is a lossless format.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version