topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: an idea for an effect  (Read 5555 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
an idea for an effect
« on: October 11, 2005, 07:16 AM »
i had an idea for adding a command for an effect, wanted to see if i could explain it.

i was thinking of an effect where you select some region, and it would get copied and placed to the right of the main image, and then the main image shrunk down to match the height of the selected region.

the effect is to have a side by side overview vs. zoomed view.

so i was thinking of providing a command to do this.  would this be useful?  any other related ideas?

here is sample of the effect in action.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: an idea for an effect
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 07:20 AM »
It's a good idea, the only problem I can think of is when the height of those two images is very different...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:08 AM »
This is a nice idea - how about blowing the selection up by a percentage and saving it in a clip folder so that it can be added/positioned according to user need?

The other thing that would be really nice is if the original picture canvas could be enlarged interactively by moving controls (rather than entering pixels in a dialogue). PhotoShop acheives this with the crop tool - you select the whole image with the crop tool and then drag the selection 'handles' away from the image to where you want them. The new space added is filled with the background colour.

This makes adjusting the area around the image really easy as you can make it far too big while you are working and then crop to the size you want when you finish.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:26 AM »
good ideas carol - i was thinking to add a command to copy the current selection and auto save it as a new image file in the screenshot directory, which would do what you say.

and you gave me a good idea to support dropping image files into clipart panel to copy them into clipart directory.

it think your resize idea is a good one - might be a little hard to do it exactly as you suggestion, but i think i might be able to come up with something close.  an easy temporary fix of course is to just select resize dialog, enter a large value in upper right box, and let it grow entire space around the image, and then crop to desired size by eye.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 08:32 AM »
it think your resize idea is a good one - might be a little hard to do it exactly as you suggestion, but i think i might be able to come up with something close.  an easy temporary fix of course is to just select resize dialog, enter a large value in upper right box, and let it grow entire space around the image, and then crop to desired size by eye.
Another good idea to show in a wiki :)