ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Really simple clipboard extender/note taking software?

<< < (2/6) > >>

rjbull:
Mainly for simplicity and ease of use by someone who's more of a mouse person than a keyboard person.
-Hefty Hippie (January 11, 2008, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I'm more the opposite!

CHS included) but she didn't like them at all and reverted to sticking paper notes up all over the place.

--- End quote ---

Pity, CHS has good organising abilities for a clipboard extender.  However, a few more possibilities.  Are you aware that you can set up KeyNote as a clipboard extender?  Then you have good organisational possibilities as well.  That might be the first thing to try as appearing to tick all the boxes, and freeware to boot. Don't forget the author posts here as tranglos!

JBLab Secure Notes is another small notekeeper with some nice features.  It doesn't automatically keep clips, but has a "smart paste" feature that helps make sensible titles for nodes when you paste from the clipboard into it.  Be aware, though, that the program hasn't been updated since May 2005.

There are plenty of other choices for notes, but most aren't automatic clipboard extenders.  E.g., Horst Schaeffer's MemPad, where you can set a hotkey as a toggle to minimise to tray/restore.  Bayden Systems' SlickRun is a program launcher that has a mini-notekeeper built in.  Notesholder is like a continuous ribbon of paper holding your notes; the free version is good, and the shareware one naturally has more features.  But if your wife likes sticky notes, how about the computer equivalent, of which a myriad exist?  I use Magic Notes (shareware), but ZhornSoftware's Stickies is a very well-liked free one.  DC currently has a members' discount on NoteZilla.

Hefty Hippie:
Thanks again pal.

I'll explore those links and see if anything looks likely to fit the bill but, to be totally honest, I kinda doubt it.

See, the emphasis needs to be on simplicity and ease of use (well, my better half's version of ease of use) else she simply wont use it at all - there speaks the voice of experience.  ;)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
... Mainly for simplicity and ease of use by someone who's more of a mouse person than a keyboard person ... -Hefty Hippie (January 11, 2008, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't mean to sound mean/rude but ...

I imagine someone wanting to make a note. They have their hands at their keyboard, then take a hand off the keyboard to grab their mouse, position the mouse at X,Y area on screen, and right-click, move down, select, click, and resume typing with their hands BACK at the keyboard.

Now I imagine someone wanting to make a note. They have their hands at their keyboard, and just as swift as the type normally, hit a key combination to create a new note, and resume typing.

:(
I don't get it.

rjbull:
I should have added: Notesholder has a feature whereby you can minimise it to a narrow vertical bar on the right edge of the screen.  It pops up whenever you "bump" the bar with the cursor.  I've only seen this before in PowerPro, but a mouse person might like it.  Sorry I can't remember whether it's in the freeware Notesholder Lite as well - worth checking - but it's certainly in the registered version.

Some people here have mentioned Flashnote as a small fast note-taking app, but I haven't tried it, and it may not have global search which I would consider imperative.

Mandork:
Maybe Quicknote? http://www.quicknote.de/

It has the ability to set up a line or dot on the desktop that you bump with the mouse to open it up, plus various other features, including a timer:

Often you do not need an advanced text processor but a virtual scrapbook to quickly write down an occasional thought, a plan for the day or an Internet URL. With a plain text editor, which can be used for this purpose, you have to run the program first, then create a new file, then type a line or two and save the file. Too many things to do in order to simply write down a thought? With Quicknote, it does not matter which programs you are currently using; whenever you want to write something down that comes to mind, just 'wake up' Quicknote by touching a small line on the top of your screen with the mouse or by pressing shortcut keys. In its resizable window you can jot down your notes and organize them in categories or even sketch small drawings.
Still, this tiny tool has more possibilities than it seems on the first thought! Beneath the normal text functions, it can convert units, let you directly access frequently run programs, encrypt secret texts, change the system volume by hotkeys, manage windows tasks, and even send notes through a network. It has also a powerful reminding tool, which can remind you of your notes at certain times, run programs or shutdown automatically your PC. The program is absolutely free, so download this handy tool today and concentrate on content rather than form.
--- End quote ---

I'm still trying to decide between it and KeyNote; they both do very similar things.  I tried Stickies for a while, but it was faintly annoying, though I don't remember why now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version