topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: USB explorer (to avoid viruses and optimised performance)  (Read 7219 times)

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
USB explorer (to avoid viruses and optimised performance)
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I'm looking for a program to be open before exploring the USB drives. as today, most worms and viruses came from USB drives. this solution is to make the USB explorable and ejectable. hope for help in coding. thank you very much..

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: USB explorer (to avoid viruses and optimised performance)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:25 AM »
Simply disable autorun and you're done.
- carpe noctem

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:35 AM »
nope.. i wish so.. still, when other people click the removable drive in "my computer", they'll still activate the virus with it's autorun. this one is also good: http://www.geocities...nca2000in/msp/#wimp2

the purpose is for those non-techie people to avoid usb viruses/worms which is the source of spreading. with this, you can simply pass it to emails and will benefits many people. the explorer interface is just for them to recognize that they are exploring a USB drive which may come handy by dropping files there(also avoid using windows explorer's vulnerability issue)

thanks for the reply btw :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:09 AM »
If you turn off autoplay, double-clicking the drive will not launch the autoplay program, but instead open the drive in explorer. Notice that there's a difference between "autoplay" and "auto-insert notification".
- carpe noctem

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:53 PM »
I understand that point.. (disabling the autoplay)

there's a program called "new folder.exe" or similar, it looks like a folder but actually an exe.
an explorer app for usb removable would looks good..

the purpose is for those non-techie people(to just email this apps) to avoid usb viruses/worms which is the source of spreading

but in such away, if this is hard to implement, lets just come up with simple or practical solution

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 08:10 PM »
As f0dder said, you must distinguish between autorun and autoplay.
Autorun consists of reading a .ini file in the drive, and running the executable specified in that file. This is what makes viruses spread.
Autoplay consists of, when a drive is inserted, a dialog comes up with options like "read images", "read sounds", depending on the contents of the drive.

Now, the question here is that usb drives don't have Autorun, only cdroms. Thus, if you close the autoplay dialog, or select anything other than "run program" (which occasionally comes up in that dialog), or disable that dialog, there's no trouble.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 03:24 AM »
I understand that (autorun.ini / autorun.inf) when you inserted a USB, it will ask for confirmation.. just cancel it so theres no problem.. but, "this is not for me"... this apps is for those "non-computer literate" specially for grand parents whose still in touch via I.M. communication. I can disable it in my computer.. but how about those non-computer literate people located in other country.

I can simply use this program(attached) to avoid it & preventing the spread of viruses..

but its ok if it is hard to implement.. if theres no solution for this, I'll just follow your post to just disable autorun via autoit..

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 05:20 AM »
I can simply use this program(attached) to avoid it & preventing the spread of viruses..
How will it help? If the USB drive is "infected", it will have an overwritten autorun.inf, and that takes precedence over the "there's different types of files on the drive, what do you want to do?" dialog.
- carpe noctem

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53 AM »
how it will help? the file attached, when activated, is used to delete the autorun.inf when it is detected, it also watches the wscript issues(its not mine btw). it doesn't delete the main virus or the script but it will prevent the execution of the USB virus. it is attention to common USB virus solution, not an all-around file antivirus.

intentionally, i want to provide an idea. it is better if we look forward to "solutions" rather on something else. if it is not clear yet, i just want to ask a question: is it worth doing this or not? so we can close this topic and proceed to better ones out there  :(