ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need to limit all but a few applications to keep my kids focused on homework!

(1/3) > >>

cnbingham:
Folks,
Is there an application that will help me limit all flash, java, and other games, but allow Word, Outlook and a couple of other programs to run so I can ensure my kids aren't wasting their time playing games when they should be doing their homework?

Thanx,
Curtis

tinjaw:
(Watch closely folks. Tinjaw, a old gray beard around here, is going to dazzle you. Not only is he going to provide a halfway decent answer, he is also going to simultaneously deflect the question to another member and delegate some research to them in the process. Kids, don't try this at home.)

cnbingham,

That's a great question! It's one of those where you hear people always answer things like "I'm sure you can.", "There's got to be a way to do that.", and "There has to be something you can buy to do that." Yet, nobody provides any details on just how.

I'm sure many parents would like a simple How-To article on this topic. I'm sure teachers would love it as well.

(Here it comes.)

That reminds me of a thread started recently by techidave.

(Did you see that smoooooth deflection. Watch now for the delegation.)

It would be great to have a feature article on educational software for the classroom and the home. And let's not for get the homeschooling classroom/home!! What I think would be neat is a series of threads, mini-reviews and then a nice summary article on this stuff. I'd be happy to work on the summary article if people like you cnbingham (ah!!! you didn't see that coming did you, schwing), techidave (see, this is the one you thought was going to get the finger pointed at them... alone. hehe.), and other teachers helped gather some data and do some mini-reviews.

I can help write up some easy How-Tos like maybe a "Parent as System Administrators: How to Series" with stuff like using the stuff built into Windows and free Microsoft products to focus your children's attention on homework during certain times. (For example, creating a separate user account with limited privileges.)

I'm sure some of the parent around here have some experience with products they have purchased and would be willing to provide us with some information and opinions.

And I think I am going to recruit an unsuspecting teacher friend of mine to join DC and help out. (If she doesn't I will give you all her email address so you can harass her. Yes, Melissa, I'm looking at you. )

Give me a few days to get this organized.

cnbingham:
tinjaw, you're sense of humor kills me. But only if the deflection and delegation don't get me first!

I'd love to help out in writing some mini-reviews. 

One really cool tool that I found here at DC was instantboss--I love it as a motivational timer.  I've got it set up so that my kids work for 1/2 hour and get a 10-minute break.  Course, they always seem to be on their break!

I've created an account called "Homework" and made it more limited access, but haven't figured out how to lock out all permissions except for a select few apps.  And.... they keep bringing games home on their flash drives.  I can't lock out the usb ports, as they have their homework files on the flash drives as well. 

CB

Tendrils:
Ok, Tinjaw.....I was already registered from WAY BACK WHEN.......but HERE I am!   :D   Recruited and at your service.....

tinjaw:
Ok, Tinjaw.....I was already registered from WAY BACK WHEN.......but HERE I am!   :D   Recruited and at your service.....
-Tendrils (January 09, 2008, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had nooo idea. You stinker.  8)

OK, let me get this project organized. You all talk amongst yourselves for a bit and stir up some ideas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version