ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Beware Domain Searching at Network Solutions!

(1/4) > >>

J-Mac:
If you search for a domain at Network Solutions and don't register it immediately, Network Solutions reserves it and will sell it to you at their inflated price.  Just like we always thought....

PC Mag Security Watch Story

DomainState.com broke the story here.

Network Solution's first response - they're "protecting" you from other's grabbing the domain you might want!

Nice, huh?  Creeps.

Jim

jgpaiva:
Let's all search for a bunch of stupid domain names on their site (like aksdjhhvooosnnif or kioaoppxiucunt or akkujcmmfosp) to make them spend money in vain! :)

(don't tell me: they don't spend money reserving them)

f0dder:
Nasty creeps.

The organization ruling the .dk domain, www.dk-hostmaster.dk, allows you to do domain searches/lookups for free... and you can bet they don't do any nasty trickery. Doesn't every TLD have an official + professional organization like that? :/

Renegade:
Sigh... Why do some people feel it necessary to be complete pricks in the way they run their businesses?

Here's my proposal...

I'll write a nice little mini web browser / tool that will do nothing but silently sit in the tray and run random automated queries to Network Solutions so that you can protect random domain names from evil Front Runners!

I need 2 things from people though:

1) Some kind of anonymous surfing proxy to hide IP addresses -- please let me know of a free one (not necessary, but would be useful)
2) Enough interest/people that want to be pricks back at NS ;) (why bother if nobody wants to reserve domain names)

This would have numerous benefits for everyone involved.

1) It would ensure that random domain names are protected from evil Front Runners
2) It would protect innocent idiots with too much money from purchasing random domains at reasonable prices, and force them to pay more for awesome domains like "www.sudfhaiovbeivbdsivbaifquwfc3dg48wfdefl.com" or "www.randomwordsconcatenatedtogether.com"
3) This would be a super cash winfall for Network Solutions as people rush to snap up fantastic value-added $35.00 domains.
4) With a random word concat feature, it would ensure that everyone once in a while, a legitimate domain would be denied to someone who would otherwise succumb to the evil wiles of technology -- we're saving souls here you know...
5) You'd get to reserve thousands of domain names for yourself!
6) You'd protect domain names from being purchased and possibly being used! (Some domains are used for bad things --- you can help stop this!)
7) You'd protect the domain names from terrorists!
8) Network Solutions would be helping fight the war on terror!
9) You'd be creating jobs and fighting child hunger!
10) Eventually, this would lead to a cure for cancer...

Ok - I'm starting to stretch things a bit at the end there... So, anyone want to start saving the world? ;)

Edit: Looks like they're not doing it anymore from a quick test... Not sure... I'll still do it if anyone's interested though...

Deozaan:
Renegade, I'm sure that there are people here and on the forums the story originated from who would be very happy to run your little program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version