ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FeedDemon going free

<< < (5/6) > >>

MikeMcLoughlin:
Grorgy

By default I have found that synchronisation doesn't work. It is necessary to right click on the appropriate folder beneath subscriptions, choose Folder Properties then make sure that "Synchronize this folder with NewsGator" is checked.

You're probably aware of this but I thought I'd mention it just in case. :)

muntealb:
Nosh, I tried what you recommended, but it didn't work. Anyway, the updating of the feeds takes little time so >90% CPU consumption for a few minutes every 3 hours (in my case) is not a big problem.

GreatNews and Newzie allow synchronizing the feeds with a free Bloglines account and this can be used instead of NewsGator premium. Moreover, GreatNews is portable and can be run from a USB stick so there is no need for synchronizing feeds between home and work.

nosh:
Nosh, I tried what you recommended, but it didn't work. Anyway, the updating of the feeds takes little time so >90% CPU consumption for a few minutes every 3 hours (in my case) is not a big problem.
-muntealb (January 14, 2008, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

My bad. The issue I was facing was with the CPU jumping up and staying that way even after it finished checking feeds.

vegas:
FeedDemon is overrated and hyped. FeedReader is better IMO.
-sri (January 14, 2008, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Care to elaborate on why?

GreatNews is the best choice for a desktop RSS reader at this time, from my point of view, of course. It is very fast (actually the fastest RSS reader when it comes to checking feeds), is compatible with all the feed formats, is fully Unicode compatible, consumes the less amount of resources, is very stable.

FeedDemon is good-looking and full of features, but it eats a lot of resources (CPU and RAM) especially when it checks feeds (CPU can climb to 100%).

Newzie is also good-looking and has the "killer" feature of auto-arranging the feeds based on the date of the last update. It can also monitor webpages for changes and this feature works really well.

FeedReader had in the past a lot of bugs and problems related to the database (notably extreme slowness). But the new 3.12 alpha works well and is very fast compared to the previous versions (it is the first version that I could use without complaining about slowness). FR does not have tabs however, and this is a big problem for those that want to use the integrated browser. Other than that it is a decent reader.

The real test for the RSS readers would be an endurance one. Someone that has 1000 feeds and uses extensively tagging (labeling), filtering and archiving could do that test for a month and see which reader performs best with a big database.

My top of RSS readers would be:

1. GreatNews
2. FeedDemon
3. Newzie
4. FeedReader
-muntealb (January 14, 2008, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried it since its latest release (2.6)?  Alot of what was worked on for version 2.6 was improving the speed and eliminating CPU resoruces used.

Darwin:
I'm running 2.6 and like it - the GUI is "prettier" - but the resource usage is as bad as ever. It'll consume over 200MB of RAM and 90% of the CPU while everything updates. As noted, though, this is only an issue DURING the updating of feeds and doesn't last long. The RAM isn't a big deal to me because I've got 2GB to play with and usually have LOTS free no matter what is going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version