ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FeedDemon going free

<< < (3/6) > >>

Lashiec:
I tried Google Reader yesterday, after these comments here and some other people drooling in CyberNet, and didn't find it enticing. As always, Web apps have some weak points compared with their desktop counterparts, like them being far slower, or the lack of that famous platform agnosticism (OK, for being Google, worked really good in Opera, but I was getting some layout and server errors along the way). It's pretty good, that's for sure, but considering the way I'll access and read the feeds, I'm much better with a desktop app. Also, Google Reader lacks some customizability I've seen in desktop readers. And accessing a desktop app requires less clicks and keyboard smashing ;D

Google Reader is ideal for those checking feeds everywhere, but I always leave the Internet at home ;)

sri:
FeedDemon is overrated and hyped. FeedReader is better IMO.

tamasd:
FeedDemon is overrated and hyped. FeedReader is better IMO.
-sri (January 14, 2008, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
What are FeedReader's advantages over FeedDemon?
I use GreatNews and happy with it, it seems similar to FeedReader (screenshots), simple yet powerful (though not as much as FeedDemon).

muntealb:
GreatNews is the best choice for a desktop RSS reader at this time, from my point of view, of course. It is very fast (actually the fastest RSS reader when it comes to checking feeds), is compatible with all the feed formats, is fully Unicode compatible, consumes the less amount of resources, is very stable.

FeedDemon is good-looking and full of features, but it eats a lot of resources (CPU and RAM) especially when it checks feeds (CPU can climb to 100%).

Newzie is also good-looking and has the "killer" feature of auto-arranging the feeds based on the date of the last update. It can also monitor webpages for changes and this feature works really well.

FeedReader had in the past a lot of bugs and problems related to the database (notably extreme slowness). But the new 3.12 alpha works well and is very fast compared to the previous versions (it is the first version that I could use without complaining about slowness). FR does not have tabs however, and this is a big problem for those that want to use the integrated browser. Other than that it is a decent reader.

The real test for the RSS readers would be an endurance one. Someone that has 1000 feeds and uses extensively tagging (labeling), filtering and archiving could do that test for a month and see which reader performs best with a big database.

My top of RSS readers would be:

1. GreatNews
2. FeedDemon
3. Newzie
4. FeedReader

Lashiec:
muntealb, how many of those RSS readers have the feature of checking for new changes in a webpage without a RSS feed (Website-Watcher style)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version