ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Logitech's Setpoint

(1/4) > >>

Charleybriz:
I have installed a Logitech Gamepad & Optical Mouse. In both cases "Setpoint" caused either freezes, or frequent instability in running the hardware it came with.
My system is by no means resource poor or old, and I'm a half-way experienced user. How many people have run into problems with this software.

tranglos:
No issues at all on WinXP SP2. The drivers that come on CD with the device are usually outdated though, and I've seen bugs in SetPoint 3.x. Nothing that affected system stability however, just UI annoyances, such as various settings not remembered across reboots. Upgrading to the latest 4.0.x release seems to fix them.

I've never used gamepads though, just mice - MX Revolution and a "wired" (what's the opposite of cordless?) laser mouse.

J-Mac:
Check the Logitech Forum and you'll see that you are not alone.  Several solutions are discussed there, but different ones seem to work for different users.

Personally, I have had much difficulty at times but the 4.x versions run OK for me now.  Also, make sure to give UberOptions a try.  UberOptions is an add-on that gives you a lot more options, more customization of the various buttons on different mice.  (meeces?)  E.g., on my MX Revolution wireless mouse you cannot use the middle button in Firefox to open a new tab. UberOptions adds that plus many other added features.  UberOptions is developed by Richard Lowens - rloens on the forum.  He's a user who is apparently a good coder also.

Setpoint used to automatically install the Logitech Desktop Manager (LDM) which you don't want.  Part of it is simply an installation of Backweb.  It is constantly running in the background and sends advertising pop-ups to your desktop.  (I think they were all Logitech ads, but I hate it just the same!)  It also pops up when a new version is available, but you can get that functionality with Secunia's free PSI program.  (Personal Software Inspector)  It places 78 separate entries in your Startup config!  It also talks to Logitech far too much for my liking.

Also, if you use a Logitech Web Cam, be very careful and read up as much as you can before installing the drivers for it.  Two separate webcam drivers turned out to be incompatible with Creative SoundBlaster sound cards and caused some sudden hard crashes - hard to recover from because as soon as you'd restart your PC it would crash again as the sound card drivers initialized.  I had to use system restore in safe mode.  After the first time this occurred on a pretty widespread basis Logitech discovered that it was their built-in sound drivers for the webcam's auto-record audio feature - Echo-something or other.  Then after getting that fixed they released another driver with the exact same conflict 8 months later!   :o

Jim

J-Mac:
No issues at all on WinXP SP2. The drivers that come on CD with the device are usually outdated though, and I've seen bugs in SetPoint 3.x. Nothing that affected system stability however, just UI annoyances, such as various settings not remembered across reboots. Upgrading to the latest 4.0.x release seems to fix them.

I've never used gamepads though, just mice - MX Revolution and a "wired" (what's the opposite of cordless?) laser mouse.

-tranglos (January 08, 2008, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tranglos - After having no luck with the G5 and G7 mice - lags and delays - the MX Revolution totally rocks!  I'd say the best overall wireless mouse I have used.  I have WebSite Watcher watching the Amazon and Newegg pages for the MX Revolution so I can maybe buy one or two more if they go on a big enough sale.  This mouse works so well I just know Logitech will discontinue it!!

Jim

wreckedcarzz:
I have SetPoint on my Vista machine with my Logitech G11 gaming keyboard and G7 wireless gaming mouse, and I have no issues. I use the options frequently to fine tune things and it goes off without a hitch. :Thmbsup: Not sure why you guys are seeing problems :huh:

After reading J-Mac's post, though, I will not be buying a $100 webcam from Logitech if it means it may screw over my $150 SoundBlaster card. :o

-Brandon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version