ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Article Convinces Me To Move To vi(m)

<< < (3/7) > >>

tranglos:
@tranglos: try cream?
-urlwolf (January 08, 2008, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did, but then there's little point to using Vim (or friends) for the menus and toolbars, unless I'm missing something about Cream's capabilities. The feature list is lengthy, but it doesn't seem to add anything EmEditor or the like won't already do. When I was trying out Vim, I actually used the console version the most, so as to concentrate on the keyboard and because the menus in gVim only add more weirdness to the package.

f0dder:
Heh, the graphic referenced at the end of the article is both hilarius and probably true:
http://www.bemroses.net/images/curves.jpg
-tranglos (January 08, 2008, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Heh, I find their Visual Studio curve silly.

Personally I tend to do nano when I'm on *u*x, since I only need very simple config editing, and the first editor I got comfortable with was pico (which nano mimics/surpasses). I'm comfortable enough with VIM if nano isn't present, but for some reason 'nano' is hardwired in my fingers when I start the mental "launch editor" thought train.

I tried VIM for a while on windows, and there's features about it that's pretty nice, but I ended up with Notepad++ at the end of the day (well, the VIM adventure lasted a month or so...). Why? VIM is heavier than N++, and doesn't really offer me much I can't do easily enough with N++; I can easy cut/delete/duplicate current line, delete current word, delete to end of line etc. It might require some ctrl+whatever combinations, but that's not really too bad, and in VIM I'd have to exit insert mode anyway. I also find selections a bit more intuitive in N++. Oh, and it's easy for me to write a plugin if I want to, although it does require writing a DLL and restarting N++, there isn't any scripting language.

I'll read the article when I have time, though :)

Lashiec:
I prefer pico as well, if it's installed *and* if they let us use it. For example, for multithreading programming in C is the thing they recommend us to use, as we access the Debian server via PuTTY, that means no graphical interface, nor decent text editor... but they force us to use Vi for Unix shell programming >_< (curiously, I remember it harder to use). Still, both drive me nuts when I hit the Numpad...

* Lashiec resists assimilation
Of course, when I am in Windows or using a graphical Linux distro, I stay away from dinosaur-editors :P

f0dder:
Why pico instead of nano? And why no VIM? If I had to do coding, I'd certainly prefer VIM over nano :)

And why the heck are you forced to access systems remotely for a programming class? O_o

Lashiec:
Because we're forced to do that. I don't know if the nano package is installed in the Debian that runs the server, never bothered to try.

Good question, considering that all computers in the different classes have Ubuntu installed, but still they force us to access the Debian server, in multiuser fashion, and hack programs there. It's only for one subject, though, in most of the others we use normal tools :)

And considering the advice they gave us over how bad programmed multithreaded routines can bring the server to its knees... well, I guess they like to play with fire ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version