ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Article Convinces Me To Move To vi(m)

(1/7) > >>

tinjaw:
Today one of the python blogs I read posted about an article they thought was the "Best Vim Article Ever". It has convinced me to (as often as possible) use vim for the next three months and see if it sticks.

Article Convinces Me To Move To vi(m)

tinjaw:
Downloading now...

GVim Portable Home Page
http://portablegvim.sourceforge.net/

jgpaiva:
Interesting article, even for those that (like me) already use vim ;)

It gave me a few cool tips, which i'll now proceed to practice :P

urlwolf:
Welcome.
If you experience changes, like you can move object with your mind, you are on the right path to enlightenment.

Beware of the power of vim though. If you start typing normally thinking you are in insert mode, while being in normal mode, you may send a rocket to the moon.

Also, to learn new commands, it's a good idea to roll your forehead on the keyboard and look at the results.

Just kidding. Join the #vim channel at freenode if you need help.

tinjaw:
I guess I should add, to give you all some context, I am not a VIrgin. I use it as my main editor with working with files on a *nix box. However, I am only at the near side of intermediate user level. I should really be saying that by using it fulltime I hope to move beyond the basics. Any software, when only used at the basic level, will never give you an understanding of the software's worth. It would also be a useless exercise to switch applications if you aren't ever going to go beyond the basics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version