topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Synching your TODO list - how do you go about it?  (Read 5495 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Synching your TODO list - how do you go about it?
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:47 AM »
i normally keep a text-file named TODO.txt at the root folder in my PC or thumb-drive to quickly key-in stuff i need to do. these are simple errands or reminder that can be done within a day so they don't warrant a full-blown reminder app. i copy this text-file around from my PC to USB drive or vice-versa and i've even created an AHK script for this but sometimes i wonder if there is a better way to do this. so i open the question to fellow DC'ers for more creative solutions.. :)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Synching your TODO list - how do you go about it?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:17 AM »
At work I have a simple sticky notes applet in my panel, here I only keep track of work-related todos. For almost everything else I use my irc bot, which has per user and per channel todo lists.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Buy a PDA and call it a day ;D

I use Rainlendar to keep up with things when I'm on the computer. When I'm out of it, I don't use nothing, it's not that I have so many things to do, and my memory is pretty good.

Or use any software capable of synchronizing itself with Google Calendar or similar, or use a web service, like that one or Remember The Milk in first place.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I was going to write one, but there are so many out there that I just figured, "why?"

Here's a good one at the Code Project: AbstractSpoon TODO List

AbstractSpoon is here.

Does desktop and PDA along with source control.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Does desktop and PDA along with source control.

PDA ? I can't find any reference to PDA use with todolist on these pages. Where are they ? Thanks!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Buy a PDA and call it a day ;D

That's what I's do too (I sync my outlook tasks with my palm -- Outlook is pretty malleable so you you can pretty much do anything you want there, even task hierarchies, with a bit of creativity).

But what's not working with your present system?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:36 PM »
But what's not working with your present system?

there's nothing wrong with the present set-up but i just want to put the question here to see how different ways are there to do them.. i carry a thumb-drive and a paper notebook to jot down things to do and errands that pop-up. i tried keying-in these items into my mobile but it became too cumbersome.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:56 PM »
A year ago, or something like that, I downloaded GTD and outlook pdf from the David Allen Company... I was curious. So I now use a combination of a GTD system, with some traces of Covey and Rodger Constandse (Achieve Planner, Effexis Software). The syncing with my palm, using Outlook categories + priorities goes pretty smoothly, I find.

I can have my appointments + todos + contacts + some basic notetaking application with me all the time, in my pocket, without needing to carry a computer, paper, etc.

Buying a palm was probably my greatest technological move in the last 2-3 years. It takes a bit of time getting used to it. But once you have a system that works, it's just great.  :)

PS : I could share my system with you if you want... But not now : I have to many things to do... In couple of days... Only if you ask  ;D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:52 PM »
i'd love to see how your system works but i'm trying to keep the solutions as low tech as possible - that means sans palm, pda or any of its ilk.. :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 08:57 PM »
i'd love to see how your system works but i'm trying to keep the solutions as low tech as possible - that means sans palm, pda or any of its ilk.. :)

heheh. I can certainly understand. :)