ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rule of 3 Drives: How to Build your Next PC

<< < (6/9) > >>

f0dder:
If I might comment on the RAID topic, be very wary of where you place your confidence.  After multiple failures on a variety of "SOHO" type RAID implementations (low/moderate cost cards, motherboard built-in offerings, etc.) I've written them off and use non-realtime disk mirroring.  As an added bonus you get some degree of versioning protection that way.

The problem with the budget RAID solutions is that they won't rebuild.  The failures I've had in RAID1 configs made the mirror drive unreadable.  Since moving to a multilayer asynchronous drive mirror solution my file servers at work have been bulletproof.  And from skimming Google's whitepaper on data protection they use a similar system.
-Liquidmantis (January 06, 2008, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't use any raid level but MIRROR, for a couple of reasons:

* RAID-5 rebuilds are expensive, and might take an additional disk out when rebuilding. You can still only lose one disk without losing all your data.
* With non-mirror RAID levels, it can be difficult moving from one controller type to another (as in, virtually impossible).
* With mirroring, you can keep running from a single drive, if you want/need to.
for MIRRORing, just about any solution will work (100% software done on the OS, half-assed "hardware" solutions like onboard and most cards, and "real hardware"). If you're going to buy a "hardware raid" card, either get one with cache memory and a batteri-backup unit, or don't bother at all. And since you shouldn't be running the fancier RAID modes, don't bother :)

Now our enterprise level RAID systems recover well, especially when configured with a hotspare.  The only RAID system I'd consider at home now though is a Drobo.
--- End quote ---
What does drobo run internally? Linux w/kernel software raid?

Liquidmantis:
What does drobo run internally? Linux w/kernel software raid?
-f0dder (January 07, 2008, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Drobo OS", with which they've been fairly close-lipped about the details.  At least they were when I looked at the Drobo.

johnfdeluca:
Now our enterprise level RAID systems recover well, especially when configured with a hotspare.  The only RAID system I'd consider at home now though is a Drobo.
--- End quote ---

If only drobo were NAS....it's only USB connected which limits it's usability imo.

tinjaw:
If only drobo were NAS....it's only USB connected which limits it's usability imo.-johnfdeluca (January 07, 2008, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

The speed would be horrible over NAS. SMB is crud. However, you can easily attach it to an existing piece of network equipment if you want NAS. Almost any existing NAS has USB ports for external drives. And, I assume, if you need a NAS, you already have a network, stick it on a server. If you don't have any of those then grab a new ASUS or D-Link wireless appliance and start hanging stuff off of that. The latter is what I do.

johnfdeluca:
grab a new ASUS or D-Link wireless appliance and start hanging stuff off of that. The latter is what I do.
-tinjaw (January 07, 2008, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I assume you've seen this post http://www.drobospace.com/forum/thread/10306/Linksys-WRTSL54GS-Wireless-G-Media-Storage-Link-Router/#1352

Curisoity.....which appliance do you use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version