ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rule of 3 Drives: How to Build your Next PC

<< < (5/9) > >>

f0dder:
thanks, i'm going to try that in a few days.

BTW, here's a link to a review of some Continuous Backup utilities.
-Armando (January 06, 2008, 08:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
That review fails to mention whether the apps simply detect change & copy file, or if they use a filter driver and thus only copy over THE EXACT CHANGES. This might seem a bit anal, but it's pretty damn important if you have data files of several gigabytes where only a few megabytes change.

Armando:
thanks, i'm going to try that in a few days.

BTW, here's a link to a review of some Continuous Backup utilities.
-Armando (January 06, 2008, 08:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
That review fails to mention whether the apps simply detect change & copy file, or if they use a filter driver and thus only copy over THE EXACT CHANGES. This might seem a bit anal, but it's pretty damn important if you have data files of several gigabytes where only a few megabytes change.
-f0dder (January 06, 2008, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hummmm... Yes, I remember you mentionned that there : File synchronization: moving away from incremental backup (HELP!)

Some related threads :

MirrorFolder compared to reviewed programs?
SyncBackSE vs. SuperFlexible

Liquidmantis:
If I might comment on the RAID topic, be very wary of where you place your confidence.  After multiple failures on a variety of "SOHO" type RAID implementations (low/moderate cost cards, motherboard built-in offerings, etc.) I've written them off and use non-realtime disk mirroring.  As an added bonus you get some degree of versioning protection that way.

The problem with the budget RAID solutions is that they won't rebuild.  The failures I've had in RAID1 configs made the mirror drive unreadable.  Since moving to a multilayer asynchronous drive mirror solution my file servers at work have been bulletproof.  And from skimming Google's whitepaper on data protection they use a similar system.

Now our enterprise level RAID systems recover well, especially when configured with a hotspare.  The only RAID system I'd consider at home now though is a Drobo.

J-Mac:
mouser, I am setup almost exactly like your first post:  C: = a Western Digital 80 GB drive with only Windows XP Pro and Program Files;  D: = a Seagate SATA 500 GB 7200 RPM drive used only for data and media files;  E: = a second Seagate SATA 500 GB 7200 RPM drive used only for backups and occasionally for Temp files.  K: = an external Western Digital 500 GB My Book Essential drive which I use mostly for an additional backup and to mirror all my important folders.

Of course after 14 months the E: drive (backups) failed.  Figures...

Jim

Renegade:
Interesting... Learn something everyday. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version