ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rule of 3 Drives: How to Build your Next PC

<< < (4/9) > >>

f0dder:
Haven't had time to properly test MirrorFolder yet (ie., giving it some really stressful testing), but it seems to be able to do the job well enough. The problem is that if the connection to the server is lost, iirc you have some relatively long timeouts when working with your local files. But I guess there's not much you can do about this, as long as windows filesharing is used, instead of a custom protocol.

Armando:
Haven't had time to properly test MirrorFolder yet (ie., giving it some really stressful testing), but it seems to be able to do the job well enough. The problem is that if the connection to the server is lost, iirc you have some relatively long timeouts when working with your local files. But I guess there's not much you can do about this, as long as windows filesharing is used, instead of a custom protocol.
-f0dder (January 06, 2008, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see. Thanks f0dder.

In my case, I was  more or less thinking of using it with an external USB drive as a kind of RAID mirror replacement for when I'm working at home (when my big external USB drive is available). Better then nothing...

So I'll have to see which software does this best, and maybe invest some $$ if it seems like a viable solution (not too resource hungry, and reliable)

Armando:
MirrorFolder probably does exactly what I want since they say it can synchronize documents/files through USB flash/hard drive

How do I synchronize my documents/files between my home and office computers through my removable USB flash/hard drive?

For this you need to setup mirror for the same source folder on both your office and home computers to a single folder on your USB drive. Now enable the following options for the mirror folder on both computers.

* Synchronize on startup or when connected
    * Mirror under current logged on user account
    * Compare file size and last modified time stamp
    * Bi-directional synchronization
    * Copy file differentially with block size (enable this if you have relatively large sized files and only a small section of them are modified normally)

You may also enable archive options to archive older and deleted versions of files into a third location on your home and/or office computers.
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Yes, MirrorFolder will work for you, and it seems very light on resources. You will want to use what it calls "RAID mode" iirc., which is a silly name for it, since it has noting to do with RAID - it's automagic/instantaneous data replication through use of a filter driver, instead of re-scanning files etc. Should work flawlessly for locally connected drives :)

Armando:
thanks, i'm going to try that in a few days.

BTW, here's a link to a review of some Continuous Backup utilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version