ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rule of 3 Drives: How to Build your Next PC

<< < (2/9) > >>

mouser:
yeah 4. but i dont count the 4th external since i dont consider it part of the pc, but part of your house, shared among all pcs, etc.

jeromg:
Thanks for the advice mouser, I couldn't agree more.
However as I'm thinking about my next pc, I'm wondering if anyone considered using Solid State drives?
Ok, I know these are still a bit ;) expensive!...
By the way, Samsung recently announced a 128Gb SSD

Cheers  /jerome

Liquidmantis:
That's the way I run:
C: (OS)
D: (Program Files)
E: (Storage, with My Documents remapped)

When I reinstall I just rename my D:\Program Files to D:\Program Files(OLD) and I have an easy reminder of what apps I need to reinstall and have a backup of any config files if needed.

Renegade:
Does the current SSD technology use the same tech as typical flash drives?

Hard drives will basically last "forever" as the physical media (platters) are not damaged by writes, but flash drives are damaged by writes and the media itself slowly degrades.

So I'm not sure that SSD are a great idea for reliable storage. (???)

Does anyone know the underlying technolgy enough to comment further on that here?

Liquidmantis:
I'd bet great odds that an SSD drive will long out last a HDD.

In the ReadyBoost thread Justice posted this quote from Wikipedia:
With these mechanisms in place, some industry analysts[1] have calculated that flash memory can be written to at full speed continuously for 51 years before exceeding its write endurance, even if such writes frequently cause the entire memory to be overwritten. This figure (51 years) involved a worst-case scenario using specific data parameters and should not be confused with a particular "shelf life" for a flash memory device. The bottom line is that a typical user using a commercial device, such as a camera, with a flash drive will probably not wear out the memory for the effective life of the camera.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version