ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rule of 3 Drives: How to Build your Next PC

<< < (9/9)

edbro:
I love the MediaVault. I have the newer version, MV2120. I use it for backing up all 3 home computers as well as serving music to my Roku Soundbridge. I am very pleased with it, especially for the price.

app103:
Not all program settings are stored in the registry, especially with older programs. Keeping your software installed on a seperate partion than your OS could mean that all you have to do is enter your license info again and not have to reinstall everything.

If you wipe the OS partition and have all software on a different one, after the reinstall of windows, chances are most of your software will work without needing to be reinstalled. And you might even have all your old settings that took so much time to configure.

I only have a few applications this doesn't work with, but after a clean install of Windows, when I run those I get an error...that alerts me to the need to reinstall THOSE applications.

I started doing something else when I got my other computer: after configuring the applications that didn't keep their settings because they were stored in the registry, I exported their registry keys and keep the .reg file in the folder with the setup file. Now I have 1 click to configure and if settings get messed up somehow, a quick way to fix it.

Armando:
If you wipe the OS partition and have all software on a different one, after the reinstall of windows, chances are most of your software will work without needing to be reinstalled. And you might even have all your old settings that took so much time to configure.
-app103 (May 13, 2008, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

This usually hasn't been my experience though. Subjective... anecdotal... I know.

But I found that I always got into trouble with some apps that would start behaving in weird ways (on Windows reinstallation... which doesn't happen often...)... and all these shortcuts that I have to recreate myself, etc. Not to mention that when you install stuff on another partition, you sometimes have to customize other things : some applications depend on others and you have to manually indicate where you've decided to install them... Nope, I find it's not worth the trouble.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version