ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rule of 3 Drives: How to Build your Next PC

<< < (8/9) > >>

Fred Nerd:
Techie alert :)
I thought I was a power user, but I only have one HD in my laptop, and my backups consist of the odd DVD of really important files, and a promise that one day I will buy myself an external drive.

I don't want to think about a disk failure, it gives me chills just imagining it.

BTW, I would love to run multiple drives etc. but our house is alternative style: the solar panels only have enough power to run a laptop. 60w as opposed to 600w.

Curt:
This thread really is interesting - but I am not sure how much I understood...  :-[

One thing I know I don't understand is this instantaneous backing up.
If a file corrupts my drive, won't I be doing the same to the backup drive?  :tellme:

Armando:
curt : of course, and that's why it shouldn't be your only mode of backing up.

edbro:
Personally speaking, I don't see much of an advantage to putting all my programs on a drive separate from the OS. I have 2 physical drives with one of them partitioned into 2 logical drives. OS and programs on C, Data on D, and Backups on E. I also have a HP Mediavault 1TB NAS for secondary backup and music server.

The reason I like to keep my programs on the same drive as the OS is because if you need to reinstall the OS you would have to reinstall all the programs anyway, unless they were portable. I keep an image of a fresh XP install and, just because it's so easy to do, I like to start fresh every few months. If I had all my programs on the D drive then I would have to reinstall on top of the existing installs.

Why do I reapply the OS image so often? 1) I like to experiment with a lot of new software that I usually uninstall later (but they still leave remnants), 2) I'm anal retentive! Having the image of the OS, tweaked the way I like it, allows me to run without a virus scanner or software firewall. I've never been bitten but if I do I can start fresh in about 5 minutes.

J-Mac:
Personally speaking, I don't see much of an advantage to putting all my programs on a drive separate from the OS. I have 2 physical drives with one of them partitioned into 2 logical drives. OS and programs on C, Data on D, and Backups on E. I also have a HP Mediavault 1TB NAS for secondary backup and music server.

The reason I like to keep my programs on the same drive as the OS is because if you need to reinstall the OS you would have to reinstall all the programs anyway, unless they were portable. I keep an image of a fresh XP install and, just because it's so easy to do, I like to start fresh every few months. If I had all my programs on the D drive then I would have to reinstall on top of the existing installs.

Why do I reapply the OS image so often? 1) I like to experiment with a lot of new software that I usually uninstall later (but they still leave remnants), 2) I'm anal retentive! Having the image of the OS, tweaked the way I like it, allows me to run without a virus scanner or software firewall. I've never been bitten but if I do I can start fresh in about 5 minutes.
-edbro (May 13, 2008, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

edpro,

I have three internal drives and I also keep the OS and program files on the C: drive.  I don't see a benefit in separating them.

Off-Topic:
BTW, how do like your HP Media Vault?  Do you stream media files from it?  Or just use it mainly for backups?

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version