ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Word Processor Roundup

Textmaker (Softmaker/Ashampoo Office) 2008

<< < (13/15) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I, too, recommend this. In fact, I just recently bought a Linux license of it for my netbook. IMHO, it's a *much* better product than OpenOffice, even factoring in that OO is free.

On the other hand, after looking at their description of the upcoming DB application, I'm not impressed with that. It looks like a clone of Access. That is ... OK. But Access has evolved into a monster, with all kinds of oddities as the product grew over time, and tried to remain compatible. I wish they'd started from a clean slate. (Or maybe I'm reading too much into their screen shots)

Darwin:
On the other hand, after looking at their description of the upcoming DB application, I'm not impressed with that. It looks like a clone of Access. That is ... OK. But Access has evolved into a monster, with all kinds of oddities as the product grew over time, and tried to remain compatible. I wish they'd started from a clean slate. (Or maybe I'm reading too much into their screen shots)
-CWuestefeld (June 03, 2009, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, heh, I gave up following progress about 18 months ago as nothing seems to be being done with it... However, I *thought* that one of their goals WAS to start with a clean slate?

elpresi:
Softmaker Office 2008 vs OO3.1:
http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/better-office-alternative-softmaker-office-bests-openofficeorg-445?page=0,0

Crush:
I had a lot of problems with bigger texts intense using tabulators. OpenOffice destroyed the original word-files (3.1 also). Softmaker Office was absolutely compatible and I had no problems with it till now. It has some things I donĀ“t like in using it, but its more important to get along with M$ Office.

tomos:
this is still valid today (the 'for free' one) - I just tried it.

For those interested in Softmaker office 2008, there is a killer Ashampoo deal (same as Softmaker):

http://r.ashampoo.com/mailings/1/090410_en.htm   for $4.99
-elpresi (July 07, 2009, 03:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or for free if you're quick.
-4wd (July 09, 2009, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

maybe they're bringing out a new version soon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version