ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Word Processor Roundup

Textmaker (Softmaker/Ashampoo Office) 2008

<< < (5/15) > >>

Darwin:
so Texttmaker make one almost half the size of Scansofts! - that's probably due to the "Embed only used characters" option
-tomos (January 16, 2008, 04:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

No - it was the original word doc that was 63kb - TextMaker produced a pdf from it that is 134kb in size versus Scansoft's 123kb pdf. They're close, though (and it's almost impossible to exactly line up the ticked options in each, so this probably isn't a fair comparison anyway).

I'll have to try this little experiment again with a more complex document - I literally went for the first that I found! I'll try to remember to do so later today. If I can replicate this and start prodding SoftMaker for a fix as well, maybe something will happen.

edit by jgpaiva: fixed quote tag

TucknDar:
*BUMP*

I'm curious as to how well it writes (and reads) MS Office docs. I mostly use OpenOffice, but seeing as this company claims they have full compatibility with ms office I might be interested. Did any of you try to save documents with several pictures, frame boxes and formatting and then look at it in word?

tomos:
*BUMP*

I'm curious as to how well it writes (and reads) MS Office docs. I mostly use OpenOffice, but seeing as this company claims they have full compatibility with ms office I might be interested. Did any of you try to save documents with several pictures, frame boxes and formatting and then look at it in word?
-TucknDar (March 20, 2008, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

that's why I got it TucknDar -
I was having trouble with formatting and tables getting messed up going from OOo to Word

I'm very happy with it but I dont put it to much use to be honest -
with tables seems fine, pics I dont know...

I know Darwin had a few reservations about formatting I'm sure he'll post about them..

TucknDar:
thanks, tomos! Now let's see what Darwin has to say :)

Armando:
When I tested textmaker a while ago (2006) it was able to convert very well -- albeit not perfectly -- my immensely complex documents full of tables, frames, drawings, etc. Sometimes, some aspects of the layout were not preserved perfectly : frames were not positioned exactly at the same place (it could be that the new version converts better though), or something like that. At that time, I actually found that Open Office was usually much better at preserving the layout... Oh well.

Must add that I didn't try the reverse process you describe: saving a doc in textmaker and opening it in MS Word. (Stupid, I know.)

Some of the reasons I can quickly remember concerning why I didn't buy Textmaker -- apart form the layout problems I was not ready to deal with : 1- I couldn't find how to "hide" comments the way MS Word can (and have them appear in a separate pane so that it does not mess the with pagination), 2- scrolling was not as smooth and full featured (I scroll a lot, I need multiple speeds), 3- contrarily to Zaine, I didn't find that it started as fast as MS Word, 4- I'm addicted to MS Words outlining capabilities, 5- French proofing was definitely not as sophisticated. That's all I can remember for now, but there were probably better reasons, of course ;).

It's still an outstanding product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version