topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: post problems MB UPGRADE, slow detecting and verifying dmi pool data prob  (Read 3993 times)

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello DC friends ,

I just upgraded the mother board in my computer and donated my old board to a less fortunate friend. The problem is that when POSTing the board is now very slow to detect the IDE drives, like 4-6 minutes.

Then when it gets to verifying dmi pool data..... I do not get a sucess it just hangs again for up to 2 minutes before trying to proceed booting the dvd drive (which is what i want) and then starts to buut and will either hang or occasionally boot in then hang.
here are the system specs:
Mother board:
NF7-S2G
Chipset: nForce2 Ultra 400 + RAID MCP

AMD 2800+
1.5Gb ram
Nvidia 7500 gs 512Mb
drives:
ide 1:
lite-on Dvd burner (Master)
HDD WDC ide 60Gb (slave)
IDE 2:
generic dvd rom (Master)
SATA 1:
HDD WDC SATA 500Gb (no jumper as per docs)
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Uh-oh...

Sounds like a misbehaving drive.
EVERY time I've had a MB slow to detect a drive, it was one of the drives dying or dead.
To test, make sure your BIOS disk section is set to auto-detect drives, then disconnect them all (with the power off) and then re-connect one at a time, rebooting each time and see which one is hanging.

Let us know what happens...

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok, that's what i thought it might be. the bios is set to auto detect the drives so ok there. They do not get off work till later this evening 11 am here now. so i wont be able to mess with it for a while yet. just trying to get the solution before i slog back there tonight was there 6 hours last night attempting this .. sigh..

anyway thanks and if anyone else has any advice keep it coming.
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had a similar problem with a poor connection on a SATA cable