ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Is Not a Valid Win32 Application" when installing - WHAT'S HAPPENING? HELP!

<< < (5/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
cmpm, i will ask them next time if they are using any downloaders.. that might be a possible explanation also.
i guess i was hoping it was some misconfiguration on our server which could be corrected.
-mouser (January 05, 2008, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Server Administration 101 - Never make changes to the server based on user input. Check the logs, if the server says it's OK ... then 99% of the time it is. Feel free to adjust users as necessary... :)

Granted that's for LAN/WAN network administration, but it transcends rather nicely to public access services.

One thing that is not being addressed here is how much control do you have over "your server". My web server is sitting in a rack about 10' from me ... so I have complete control. If yours is at a hosting company (dedicated or not...) you're at their mercy as to how to handle traffic spikes. Transfer stability can be impacted depending on how the hosting company decides to "throttle back" a site during a spike.

Blaming IE for the DL issues is convenient (easy... as IE bashing appears to be a hobby round these parts) but it doesn't resolve anything because it doesn't really identify anything specific. But then again witch hunts seldom do.

I spend a goodly part of my day explaining to users why their computers don't really hate them, and removing tons of 3rd party (tripe) browser add-ons, tool-bars, "Helper Objects", and all manner of other crap that they thought they just had to have.

I've always used IE and never had a problem... however I have seen many things break it and cause issues. Just for fun, while exploring the client side aspect of the issue, ask the broken download crowd how many of them are using the Norton Internet Security suite. Symantec got in a fight with MS awhile back over the smooth-wall (no kernel hooks) kernel ... and their over compensation for it has turned all their AV products into total poo.

f0dder:
FWIW I've had the "weird download corruption" problem every now and then with IE (though never from this site), and I didn't use any browser extensions except for flash and the windows-update stuff, I didn't have antivirus software running, etc. Don't think I've ever seen the problem with other browsers, they've notified me if something went wrong while downloading.

<offtopic>Oh, and shame on MS for not providing an alternative to kernel hooking after they introduced PatchGuard</offtopic>

Stoic Joker:
FWIW I've had the "weird download corruption" problem every now and then with IE (though never from this site), and I didn't use any browser extensions except for flash and the windows-update stuff, I didn't have antivirus software running, etc. Don't think I've ever seen the problem with other browsers, they've notified me if something went wrong while downloading.-f0dder (January 06, 2008, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
My angle on this is that it's a Chicken-or-the-Egg" story. IE has some fault for lacking user feedback depending on how the sending server resets the connection. The server has some fault for resetting the connection. Who is more guilty-er *shrug* is a matter of opinion. ...But that (cause/effect scenario) IMO is the answer to the WTF is happening question.

<offtopic>Oh, and shame on MS for not providing an alternative to kernel hooking after they introduced PatchGuard</offtopic>
--- End quote ---
Offtopic=true so I PM'ed response.

app103:
I have experienced this IE related problem too, beginning shortly after upgrading to IE 6 on my other machine.

No browser add-ons there, not even flash. Nothing Norton on that machine either.

Same IE problems with this machine, and my daughter's laptop. And I know plenty of other people that have experienced it, some much worse than others.

Upgrading to IE 7 doesn't fix it. If you have a way of downgrading to IE 5.5, it will fix it, but that isn't really a wise thing to do for security reasons.

This is a known IE issue.

lanux128:
imo, it's easier to suggest to users to use a download manager due to the size of the program (e.g. ScreenshotCaptorSetup.exe = 8.52MB). that way we don't have pull our hairs over a Microsoft problem..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version