ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Is Not a Valid Win32 Application" when installing - WHAT'S HAPPENING? HELP!

<< < (2/6) > >>

cmpm:
Just guessing here, but I'd say they may be hitting run instead of save. So it could have something to do with it being in the tempoary folder and installed from there. That's the only difference I can think of at this point.

cmpm:
The main solution after investigating via google is to clear the cache.
Has this been tried?

Here's a good cleaner for more then the cache even.

http://www.atribune.org/content/view/25/2/

mouser:
interesting ideas cmpm..

as you say, people seem to suggest that this happens and you have to clear the IE cache to get it to be willing to redownload the file..

but this doesn't really tell you WHY IE gets into this confused state of THINKING it's downloaded the whole file, when normally it does not.  in fact the cache issue just really makes the problem 10x worse since it makes it impossible for the user to just redownload after they get this error the first time! (thank you bill gates!)

i guess what i'm trying to get at is that normally in IE when you try to download a file, it KNOWS when it is interrupted midstream.  it only moves the file from temp dir to real download directory after it finishes downloading the file.

but in these rare cases, clearly IE *thinks* the download has completed, and gives it to the user to run.  so this is still a mystery as to what event or condition is causing IE to get confused about this.

cmpm:
yeah lol...I think ie7 got dumber in some ways then ie6.
built to browse the web basically and not really good at much else

could be a combination of a few normal things

i wonder if they are using that ie7pro which has gone to version 2 now
and a top rated download at ms

Deozaan:
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but occasionally a large file will be downloading and it will only get a few MB into it and it will stop, saying it was successful. This has happened to me in Firefox too.

It tends to do it to me when I'm downloading many files at once and/or my connection is going really slow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version