ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Is Not a Valid Win32 Application" when installing - WHAT'S HAPPENING? HELP!

<< < (4/6) > >>

nosh:
My understanding is clearing the cache will only give the user a shot at re-downloading it. It won't prevent IE fudging up the first time.

Off the top of my head:
FTP hosting
Hosting at a site that uses Activex or whatever to let IE users resume broken downloads - the ones with the download progress showing right within the web page.
Creating a tiny stub file of your own, one that connects to your server and makes sure the whole stream goes through, yes they'll have to download the stub first... *sigh!*

f0dder:
Ugh, please don't add ?cruft just because one browser is horribly broken >_<

app103:
This is a known IE issue...and it doesn't just affect IE 7...it was a problem with IE 6 too.

It also affects most IE based browsers such as Maxthon and AOL's various browsers.

On your end of things, there isn't anything you can do to fix IE for users.

On their end, however, there are a couple of solutions they can use that will help them on most sites and not just DC:

1. Use a different browser such as Firefox, Opera, K-Meleon, etc (something not IE based)
2. Use a download manager of some sort. (this is what I opted for)

Sites like AOL opted for another option, being that they are quite aware of the problem and it affects users of their IE based browser and has caused problems with their customers downloading new versions of their software.

They issue a small application that is tiny enough to download fully without problems. This tiny application when run, will download the real software (escaping the IE problem), always the latest version, and install it for the user. Their tiny downloader application is also pausable and can resume a broken download.

I am not sure of the file size threshold for escaping the broken download risk in IE. That would be something you would have to find out and then keep your downloader app's file size under that amount. (if you were to go with this option)

f0dder:
Downloader might be a good idea, as long as you also keep the regular files downloadable; I hate when I'm forced to use a custom, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Lashiec:
I'd suggest assembling a giant mob and march over Redmond ("Fix that bug already, you lazy slowassed engineers" ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version