ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Living without AutoHotkey - possible?

<< < (10/15) > >>

Edvard:
Good grief, all those languages?!
--- End quote ---

No, I don't USE all of them, I have TRIED them all and settled on AutoHotkey. I still use batch files for system stuff, but AutoHotkey gives me GUI-bumps. :)

brotherS:
Updated my first post in this thread to reflect my current use.  :-*

rjbull:
brotherS,

* to help newbies in several IRC channels with a variety of FAQ triggers-brotherS (October 10, 2005, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been mildly puzzled by this one, because I assumed that the quantity of information you keep would be fairly large.  In that case, I'd have expected you to use something more like a Treepad-clone, for better organisation?

In fact, you have such a wide and varied use for AHK that I'd have thought you needed a GUI interface to help keep track of it all; hard to remember the less commonly-used items.

brotherS:
brotherS,

* to help newbies in several IRC channels with a variety of FAQ triggers-brotherS (October 10, 2005, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been mildly puzzled by this one, because I assumed that the quantity of information you keep would be fairly large.  In that case, I'd have expected you to use something more like a Treepad-clone, for better organisation?

In fact, you have such a wide and varied use for AHK that I'd have thought you needed a GUI interface to help keep track of it all; hard to remember the less commonly-used items.
-rjbull (June 04, 2006, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I admit it's not easy to remember ALL of hundreds of tirggers, but I'm doing pretty well so far. And should I forgot one that I didn't use in weeks I just hit my shortcut that brings up the AHK script where I can search for it :) Would I use some Treepad-clone I wouldn't be able to access that info so quickly.

And using triggers that contain names or parts of names really help too. For example, ".pdo" expands to "D:\Downloads", the "p" means "path" and "do" makes it easy to remember it's for the "Downloads" folder. Very helpful, I use shortcuts for my most often used folders. A few other examples: ".weather" expands to the full URL of an online weather forecast for my city, ".cinema" to the next cinema's URL, ".mail" for my GoogleMail account, etc.

rjbull:
should I forgot one that I didn't use in weeks I just hit my shortcut that brings up the AHK script where I can search for it :) Would I use some Treepad-clone I wouldn't be able to access that info so quickly.
-brotherS (June 05, 2006, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I should have thought of using a hotkey to bring it up  :)  presumably in whatever editor you're using.

Type Pilot from Two Pilots stores its abbreviations in a tree structure, which should work well for large numbers of phrases.  But you seem indissolubly wedded to AHK  :)  After all, it does a lot of other things, too.

And using triggers that contain names or parts of names really help too.
For example, ".pdo" expands to "D:\Downloads", the "p" means "path" and "do" makes it easy to remember it's for the "Downloads" folder.

--- End quote ---

Jon Knowles' ABCZ rule for making abbreviations - found by following one of Harrie's text expander posts - is a very useful way of systematising abbreviations/shorthands for normal text, but needs modifying for things like paths and whatnot.  You system looks sensible, as long as one sticks to it  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version