ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Vista Creating Duplicate Files of Everything?

<< < (4/5) > >>

PPLandry:
I'm thinking it is due to System Restore. I asked him to turn that off and see if it frees up the space. I will report back.
-tinjaw (January 08, 2008, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know about Vista, but XP system restore is MS best invention (to compensate for buggy software). So many times, my system became corrupted in some ways, did a system restore to an earlier point, and everything was fixed, magically. My 4 year-old PC is still in it's original installation (no re-install), and it is solely due to system restore.

J-Mac:
I'm thinking it is due to System Restore. I asked him to turn that off and see if it frees up the space. I will report back.
-tinjaw (January 08, 2008, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know about Vista, but XP system restore is MS best invention (to compensate for buggy software). So many times, my system became corrupted in some ways, did a system restore to an earlier point, and everything was fixed, magically. My 4 year-old PC is still in it's original installation (no re-install), and it is solely due to system restore.
-PPLandry (January 08, 2008, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but you can do the same and more with a good imaging application, like Acronis or DriveImageXML.

For example, with System Restore you can't restore only certain settings or files.  Acronis TI 11 allows that.   :)

Jim

J-Mac:
Plus the fact that you can also delete any past images with the imaging programs. You cannot do that with System Restore without losing all.

Carol Haynes:
doesn't switching off SR delete all of its accumulated rubbish - it does on WinXP. It would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to keep all the shadow copies of files if SR is switched off. Not only does it waste space but there is no way to rebuild the restore point using that data when you turn on SR again as the original restore point set will have been deleted.

If you are not sure use Disc Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point before switching off.

app103:
doesn't switching off SR delete all of its accumulated rubbish - it does on WinXP.
-Carol Haynes (January 09, 2008, 04:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am not sure if this is true for XP & Vista, but in the very first Windows OS to have SR (WinME), after turning it off and rebooting, it does clean it out.

And as long as it is turned off, you can even delete the restore folder. If you ever turn it back on again, it will just recreate it and start filling it again when a new restore point is made.

Can anybody confirm if it will allow you to delete that restore folder on XP & Vista?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version