topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What is appropriate content for DonationCoder?  (Read 124376 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is appropriate content for DonationCoder?
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2008, 06:29 AM »
How about with go with...

while !EOF {
    post = Forums.readPostSubject(DC)
    switch post.opinion(reader) {
        case offensive, boring:
            continue
        case interesting:
            thread = post.readPostThread(reader)
            if ( thread.stillInteresting(reader) && thread.provokesReply (reader)) then
                reader.postReply(thread)
}

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58 AM »
For-Next... ah (light-bulb comes on). Obvious when it's explained to me...  :-[ A bit late for me to say "good one", but  ;D

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Actually no one answered (or even commented) on the question I posed earlier "where do the limits lie?"

I've been asking the same thing. I had the idea at first that he was primarily concerned with scatological conversation, and I can imagine plenty of topical and relevant conversations that might include such discussions.

I'm pretty convinced that it hasn't been answered because everyone realizes that there is no answer that always satisfies the delicate sensibilities without throttling legitimate discussion.

I was somewhat surprised by some of the self righteous pontificating going on here (and I am not necessarily talking about codeTRUCKER's posts). Stating that codeTRUCKER has no right to state or argue his position or that by stating it he is trying to force his morals and beliefs on others is just as intolerant (if not more so because you are TRYING to supress his freedom).

I don't recall anyone saying that -- at least not that I interpreted in that way. Indeed, if you look back to the first page or two, you'll see that I said that my only argument was with his refusal to recognize his requests as censorship. I stated strongly that, because our Constitution (assuming you're American) forbids the gov't from interfering in the interchange of ideas, it is our responsibility to have civil conversations like what CodeTRUCKER initiated. So you certainly can't accuse me of trying to suppress him from airing his thoughts.

My complaints came up later on. I objected to two things:
  • A "poor sport" attitude by continuing to harp on the subject even after arriving at a solution that most people (including CodeTRUCKER) stated they could live with.
  • In that ongoing conversation, repeatedly framing his comments in terms that depict those of who don't share his values as not simply different, but as morally inferior.

• everyone has (and are entitled) to their own viewpoint
  • some people see anything opposed to full on 'anything goes' as evil
  • some people like picking fights for the sake of it
  • some people are too selfish to consider other peoples feelings

While I'm ranting, I may as well point the flame at you as well  :huh:. Your list above isn't fair. You seem to believe that you can see into the hears of other people to divine what they're thinking, what their motivations are. This is never a safe assumption. You have no way of knowing why each of us chooses to voice the views that they do. I suggest that the only civil way of handling such a discussion is to make every effort to avoid assuming the thoughts of another; if something seems to flow from illegitimate sources as you list above, ask the person for clarification.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2008, 01:21 PM »
It wasn't just me that thought there was a personal attack - read the 4 comments after you last post on page 7.

• everyone has (and are entitled) to their own viewpoint
  • some people see anything opposed to full on 'anything goes' as evil
  • some people like picking fights for the sake of it
  • some people are too selfish to consider other peoples feelings

While I'm ranting, I may as well point the flame at you as well  :huh:. Your list above isn't fair. You seem to believe that you can see into the hears of other people to divine what they're thinking, what their motivations are. This is never a safe assumption. You have no way of knowing why each of us chooses to voice the views that they do. I suggest that the only civil way of handling such a discussion is to make every effort to avoid assuming the thoughts of another; if something seems to flow from illegitimate sources as you list above, ask the person for clarification.

To be fair I think I was a bit misquoted - these are human traits present in everybody to one degree or another (and I first pointed the finger at myself) - but they are some of the reasons why it is difficult to come to a consensus when there are opposing views - especially in a forum as anonymous as the internet.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:25 PM by Carol Haynes »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2008, 01:30 PM »
@CWuestefeld - In regard to my heart, you seem to believe that you can see into the hears of other people to divine what they're thinking, what their motivations are. This is never a safe assumption. You have no way of knowing why each of us chooses to voice the views that they do. I suggest that the only civil way of handling such a discussion is to make every effort to avoid assuming the thoughts of another; if something seems to flow from illegitimate sources as you list above, ask the person for clarification.

Ok, I plagiarized your words, but I wish to make a point that you are contradicting yourself and you have done so more than this particular example.  Due to the contradictions, I really can't find anything (any concrete action steps) that I can apply to make things any different (better) or even more comfortable for you here, except "keep my offensive ideas to..." myself! (Your quote).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:32 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Before this thread veers off too much, maybe it's time to wrap it up.. Definitely one of the fastest growing threads on the forum, and lots for us to think about, but we might all be getting a bit redundant at this point?  Let's all just try to direct all of our energy into hounding Wordzilla to write the tag mod for the forum and see how that goes.  :Thmbsup:

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Mouser, several posts back, stated he'd like to see this thread examine the tagging issue and outside of our little cocoon here, there really is a real world with real consequences both in the workplace and politically oppressive and potentially fatal consequences for even reading a website.  China allowed Google to come in on the condition that the government be given access to all records and Google's technology.  Carol raised another example of a similar issue, so this is important.  Given this, does not the high road lead us to place some limits on our "rights?"

In order to put, this thread back on track, can everyone please chime in again with a concise synopsis of your views?  No need to expound on why , just a quick blurb on what you recommend.

I lean toward a voluntary pull-down menu that could either be color-coded for white-to-red, or an intellegent list of "NSFW"-type tags. (where and how to be decided later, if this is the chosen format)

EDIT - Mouser beat me to it!  Anyway to take attention off this thread and open the conversation up for "Tagging,"  I've started a New Thread.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:56 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2008, 02:16 PM »
I wish to make a point that you are contradicting yourself and you have done so more than this particular example. 

I dispute that. Reread what I said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only read this and your constant return to such statements as a belief that
I'm convinced that you really do believe ...

In one place I specifically ask for clarification, which you declined to do. In the second case I did not attempt to assert my opinion as fact, but explicitly framed it as my own belief, creating an opening for any refutation from you.

Added later: I should soften my refutation. I'm sure that I have been guilty of this at certain points. What I said earlier is, I think, an ideal to strive for.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:42 PM by CWuestefeld »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I wish to make a point that you are contradicting yourself and you have done so more than this particular example. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only read this and your constant return to such statements as a belief that

In one place I specifically ask for clarification, which you declined to do. In the second case I did not attempt to assert my opinion as fact, but explicitly framed it as my own belief, creating an opening for any refutation from you.

Look, enough is enough.  If you have a beef with me then PM me *IF* you are really interested in a an honest dialog.  Per Mouser's post and mine this thread is closed and I personally wouldn't object to the moderators locking it.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2008, 06:58 PM »
I request that this thread be locked.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2008, 07:04 PM »
ok locking will occur on monday, so get in your last jabs now.
ps. i'm not posting an exact time for locking so those of you with ebay sniping skills are out of luck  :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2008, 07:07 PM »
ok locking will occur on monday, so get in your last jabs now.
* Deozaan punches tinjaw in the mouth.
Ouch my knuckles!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:09 PM by Deozaan »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Whose Monday? It is Monday here already ...  :-*

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2008, 07:22 PM »
Who's Monday - it is Monday here already ...  :-*

Don't answer mouser! She's just trying to calibrate her topic sniping program!  ;)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Hey I could usurp the big cat himself and lock it now - but that wouldn't be much fun (and I might get mouse traps sent to me in the post!)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I say we set up a little flame war before the thread is locked. I mean, at least to have a good reason for locking it :P

* Lashiec sets up "Auto refresh every 5 seconds"

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2008, 08:00 PM »
* Deozaan aims his flamethrower at Lashiec.

:onfire:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2008, 08:05 PM »
HOT!! I'll turn the heating off, not needed this night.

* Lashiec counterattacks with a heated argument

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2008, 08:11 PM »
* Deozaan is defeated.

* Lashiec gains 30xp.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2008, 08:16 PM »
* Lashiec post count goes up 1 level :P

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2008, 02:51 AM »
Does all this mean I have to stop smoking to continue my membership here?   :huh: :o    :P  (Kidding, kidding!!)

And I'm kind of surprised at all the folks here posting that, "...most people say I am far to the left...", or something similar.  Myself?  I've never had such a pointed description of me.  I hear, at times, that I am so far right that I'm about to fall of the edge of the world.  Almost as much, that is, as I hear that I am a bleeding heart and will surely burn when I am done here.

It seems to change depending upon the topic being referenced.  I admit my views are that radically different for various subjects.

All that aside, I personally had not seen any of the marginal threads/posts before this.  (Some have been pointed out here, or I might never have seen them).  But I can honestly say that this site is one of the mildest in which I have had the pleasure to participate.  Personally I am fairly tolerant others' views, unless it hits a certain watermark within me that sets of some internal bells.  I find it difficult to express at exactly what point I would feel the need to take my leave.  It is truly a personal level within each of us - at least that's my opinion.  And I would simply do one of two things, depending on what the issue is:  I would either browse carefully here and maneuver, if you will, around that which I find objectionable; or I would simply stop using the forum.

How would I browse carefully?  I would stick to the "themed" forums and avoid the ones that are primarily "off-topic".  Again, it would be for personal reasons, for I don't feel I can dictate what is and is not acceptable, except in the topical forums.

Good night, all!

Jim

Edit:  BTW, sorry about this post -- I read the first four or five pages and then replied.  I hadn't yet seen the request to stop posting a few posts back.  Apologies to all.   8)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:58 AM by J-Mac »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2008, 05:01 AM »
Good night
goodnight to you too J-Mac and goodnight to this thread ... (clock just struck 12 noon here :D)
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2008, 05:10 AM »
Wooop unlock! :P
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2008, 05:24 AM »
I thought I would toy with you all a bit  :tease:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2008, 05:38 AM »
:-\ maybe we shud be careful or we might all turn into pumpkins :-\
Tom