ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is appropriate content for DonationCoder?

<< < (18/43) > >>

f0dder:
I don't want to see a lot of topics with a prepended NSFW or whatever tag; it's too visually noisy. Tagging should be a set of "properties" a thread (or perhaps even individual posts?) can be assigned, and they shouldn't show up in the general forum overview (although there should be a "tags" button to list them).

People should then be able to set "don't show topics including these tags" in their forum preferences, but none of this should be default. And please, nothing silly involving forum member age, people can sign up with fake age, and besides what one person finds offensive/inappropriate isn't to another.

Tagging system could also be used for the search engine, and perhaps a different "show new posts" link that orders by weighted "relevance" and not just post time etc... but for that to be effective, all old threads would have to be indexed and tagged >_<.

housetier:
Naturally some will want to be on the safe side and just tag all their posts as potentially offensive. ...but maybe not on dc.com; I have seen this at other places though: once such a system is established, people rebel and start gaming the system.

I say: go ahead and try but don't expect it to work. There will be collateral damage (such a great term) one way or the other: either we have users who are offened by posts and stop participating, or we have users who feel restricted and stop participating. I have decided for myself to watch and see where this is going, but I hope a better solution than those 2 alternatives will be found!

And pausing to think a little because the boss was so happy about his geek clock in the vista sidebar, it might be good to not decide too quickly. We should ask for more input from people who haven't spoken up yet. This is not a veteran's meeting, this is donationcoder where everyone participates.

Now I just read jgpaiva's reply: Does it mean it's been decided to implement a tagging system of sorts?

jgpaiva:
I don't want to see a lot of topics with a prepended NSFW or whatever tag; it's too visually noisy.
-f0dder (January 04, 2008, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I also agree with not showing the tags in the general forum, maybe only in the top post itself, on the bottom like the "edited by" text, with links on the tags, which would allow you to quickly find related threads.

Tagging system could also be used for the search engine, and perhaps a different "show new posts" link that orders by weighted "relevance" and not just post time etc... but for that to be effective, all old threads would have to be indexed and tagged >_<.
-f0dder (January 04, 2008, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
It'd definitelly be useful for the search, but i don't think you're right in terms of the old threads needing to be tagged. It's irreal to think it is possible to tag 11,068 threads. Thus, we have to work with what we have.
I'd say that given the growth of DC, in less than one year, we'll have at least double of those threads, and in 2, the untagged threads would represent like 1/4th of the threads.
Also, another important point is that this forum is all about technology, and in technology, things change fast, thus, older threads aren't as important.
Oh, and anderson made a great job with the search, it works perfectly without tags, thus, we'd still be able to find anything older :)

house: nope, nothing is decided, i was expressing my idea of how it could work, to see if it was approved and to invite others to present their ideas ;)

tinyvillager:
 In respect to everyone's opinion my opinion is more important than everyone else's and i say don't change a thing. :P
This thread was good for expressing your opinion.If you don't like someone's views simply talk behind their back,it's how
society has gotten along for centuries.My advice to all is to watch Godfather one and two,don't watch three it will only
make one dumber.

f0dder:
Now I just read jgpaiva's reply: Does it mean it's been decided to implement a tagging system of sorts?
-housetier (January 04, 2008, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not decided I think, but instead of turning the thread into a "I feel this way" "but I feel this way" etc., we could discuss how a tagging system could be implemented, how to integrate it, pros/cons, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version