ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is appropriate content for DonationCoder?

<< < (6/43) > >>

TucknDar:
To me NSFW tags are but one small step away from censorship. I think a more reasonable approach would be to add SFW tags to threads which are judged to not be offensive to anyone. Of course such threads would need to be locked too so vulger people cannot add a distasteful reply.
-Eóin (January 03, 2008, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D

CodeTRUCKER:
Ok, since Mouser is obviously looking at implementing a NSFW tagging system, then it seems that at least someone is opening the windows and turned on a fan, but let me offer that I think it is too narrow and robotic to make this a "Censorship -vs- Freedom of Speech" issue.  It isn't.  It is an issue of courtesy and consideration.  It is kindness.  It is choosing to care enough about someone else to modify your behavior to allow them to participate. 

Darwin:
...I think it is too narrow and robotic to make this a "Censorship -vs- Freedom of Speech" issue.  It isn't.  It is an issue of courtesy and consideration.  It is kindness.  It is choosing to care enough about someone else to modify your behavior to allow them to participate. 
-CodeTRUCKER (January 03, 2008, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed... but - there are well over 100,000 members on this site. Even if only 2% of them are active in the forum, that's a LOT of people to ask to moderate their own behaviour. If only 2% of that number choose not to respect this sentiment, it will be difficult to clean up the forum without resorting to outright censorship, if it is agreed that the boards need to be cleaned up. I'm not saying it can't (or shouldn't, for that matter) be done but I am not optimistic about the success of appealing to people's better nature! FWIW, the knowledge that my worries about other peoples' reactions to postings that I suspected might be objectionable were well-founded is enough to make me vow to try to avoid being personally responsible for such material in the future. Now we'll have to see how long I can stick to it  :o

Eóin:
Ok I'd better mention my previous post wasn't meant to be inflammatory, just to point out how seemingly sensible NSFW tags are really a stepping stone to more pervasive censorship... with an attempt at satire thrown in.

CodeTRUCKER, I like that you say this is more an issue of courtesy and consideration but doesn't that go the other way too where the more conservative (for genuine lack of a better word) tolerate the the openness of others.

Veign:
Ok, since Mouser is obviously looking at implementing a NSFW tagging system, then it seems that at least someone is opening the windows and turned on a fan, but let me offer that I think it is too narrow and robotic to make this a "Censorship -vs- Freedom of Speech" issue.  It isn't.  It is an issue of courtesy and consideration.  It is kindness.  It is choosing to care enough about someone else to modify your behavior to allow them to participate. 
-CodeTRUCKER (January 03, 2008, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, where do you draw the line.  NSFW tags only work when the person creating the post feels its not safe for work.  What if I feel something is perfectly safe. 

Typically NSFW is for nudity more than profanity and many tag as such.  Reason is profanity happens in a work place.

I think the NSFW tag needs to be used sparingly.  Imagine coming to a forum for the first time and seeing NSFW on numerous posts.  I think that would turn people away, and fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version