ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is appropriate content for DonationCoder?

<< < (21/43) > >>

mouser:
For quite some time Wordzilla (Anderson) and I have been talking about tag system ideas.  He did such an incredible job with the search stuff that i'm hoping he'll take on the tag system next.

There is no doubt that even if used purely internally, a tag system would be incredibly useful in terms of automating some of the stuff we do now -- like preparing the blog and newsletter.  So for me, it's really a great thing to add no matter how you look at it.

I also think it might be nice in terms of people being able to browse the forum by exploring a tag cloud etc could be fun.  People also might be able to set their rss feed to only give them items from a specfiic tag, etc.

We kind of get the NSFW stuff "free" when we write the tag system.

It seems to me the main questons are:
What is the user interface for displaying tag info and setting tag info and who gets to set tag info?

Let me emphasize this point:  The tag system is *not* being written so that we can have an NSFW filter -- that would be much much too much work for such a tiny tiny issue.

Personally from my perspective there is so little even remotely objectionable content on this forum that the NSFW filtering stuff seems like overkill.  But since it kind of comes almost free with the tag system it may be worth considering doing. 

I agree with some of the above statements that we shouldnt have the filtering on by default or do age checking, etc.  This is more like a manual opt-in tv parental lock.  If for some reason you don't want to see some content on the forum, YOU have to go to your profile and say "hide it from me".

Also, I do not want the forum to get "noisier" -- i dont want tags all over the place and making things harder to read.
the idea of having them per-thread down at bottom of page might be a nice idea.  or the tags could be invisible or only shown when you click a small unobtrusive button somewhere.  Wordzilla is good with this stuff, he'll come up with a nice method :)

f0dder:
We kind of get the NSFW stuff "free" when we write the tag system.

It seems to me the main questons are:
What is the user interface for displaying tag info and setting tag info and who gets to set tag info?

Let me emphasize this point:  The tag system is *not* being written so that we can have an NSFW filter -- that would be much much too much work for such a tiny tiny issue.
-mouser (January 04, 2008, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly, excatly, exactly!

Personally from my perspective there is so little even remotely objectionable content on this forum that the NSFW filtering stuff seems like overkill.  But since it kind of comes almost free with the tag system it may be worth considering doing. 
--- End quote ---
Spot on the sugar again.

Also, I do not want the forum to get "noisier" -- i dont want tags all over the place and making things harder to read. the idea of having them per-thread down at bottom of page might be a nice idea.  or the tags could be invisible or only shown when you click a small unobtrusive button somewhere.  Wordzilla is good with this stuff, he'll come up with a nice method :)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, definitely don't want the tags to show up in the thread overviews (but could have a button there), and when viewing a thread the tags could be shown at top or bottom of the page. Or it could be shown based on user setting etc.

Lashiec:
OK, so then we'll let Wordzilla work. Time for a

tranglos:
I am not "LMAO", but I truly expect nosh's prediction to be accurate:
If you set up a special NSFW part of DC, we WILL get loads and loads of it.
So DON'T!!
-Curt (January 04, 2008, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite possible.

While a general tagging system will be useful for browsing, there's also this to consider: once the specific NSFW tag is instituted, what happens when a poster neglects to use it and complaints start pouring in?

What CWuestefeld said: the status quo is precisely the correct balance.

Darwin:
Good point, Chris and tranglos. The downside of any effort to allow people to filter what they do and don't see is that this is going to increase the burden on the moderators because, as I noted, inevitably there will be those who occasionally forget or consistently refuse to tag their own posts for content where appropriate...  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version