Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 20, 2014, 07:27:30 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Streaming in real time only?  (Read 2614 times)
johnnyd2
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:58:26 PM »

I loved the idea of being able to download streaming video with help of "URL Snooper". I downloaded "Getasfstream" and then found a video to download. It took the entire length of the time to download as it would have taken to watch. Is this normal? I could not read the Getasfstream help file because it is in japanese. As you can tell I am very new to this stuff. But DonationCoder makes it so easy to try new things. 
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »

it depends.
usually with a program like Streambox VCR and other realmedia recorders, you can download realmedia them quite quickly.  And you can download multiple at once.

most of my experience comes from downloading c-span videos in rm format.  but i'm not so familiar with asf and wmv windows media stuff.  you should definitely try other programs though, to see if it makes a difference.  i'm a big fan of the shareware program Net Transport. it's real strength is in scheduled recordings, but it is good for other stuff too, and author is a nice guy.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »

By the way i just noticed that our discount on net transport is still available for supporting members:
http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=6854.0

(note we don't make any money on people using the discounts so use it or not, makes no difference to me).
moonwatcher
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »

Most of the time I'm using SDP for downloading asf or wmv streaming media and since it IS streaming media, the time to "download" a video is equal to the video's length. Remember, you are not really downloading a video file but only recording or ripping the content sent by a media server. This should apply to all media servers using the MMSw protocol to transport their live or prerecorded media files.
johnnyd2
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »

Thank you both for your kind assistance. This gives me a greater understanding of what I should expect when downloading streaming video. Will what I download be transferable to a CD or DVD?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:56:13 AM »

Will what I download be transferable to a CD or DVD?

yes, but you'll have to convert it to a suitable format first, which will require yet another program.
johnnyd2
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »

Thank you. Any suggestions? I will be doing very little downloading and converting so a freebie would be nice.
johnnyd2
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »

For example I have a WMV file I would like to put to dvd.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.027s | Server load: 0.1 ]