ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SysInternals auto-installler & auto-updater!

<< < (2/2)

nontroppo:
You guys are so soft! A bit of manual labour keeps you out of trouble on the street. In my day we had to rebuild the application from the source each time a new version came out[1]. Now everyone wants it easy...

:P

----
[1] There are some weird obscure cults where that kind of thing still happens!  :tellme:  ;)

f0dder:
[1] There are some weird obscure cults where that kind of thing still happens!  :tellme:  ;)
-nontroppo (January 03, 2008, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Like gentoo? :)

At least it's not much bother because of the 'emerge' system, and if you don't need X11, OpenOffice, FireFox... it works very well.

Darwin:
Nice find, Curt  :Thmbsup:

Nod5:
Nice find indeed!

Since the Sysinternals apps are covered by http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/ I've so far just clicked the download link for any Sysinternal update, then select "open" (not save), wait for winrar, 7-zip etc to open and then extract all files to the relevant program folder. It all takes less than 20 seconds. But I'll give this auto-updater a go.

Hey I just got a related idea: maybe someone should make a "helper script" for the filehippo update checker. The script would monitor a specific folder (c:\uc for example) for updates and silently installs them when found. So users just save all updates (.exe, .zip ...) through update checker to that folder and the script does the rest. The script would need some (regularly updated) list of command line switches for the installer files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version