topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SysInternals auto-installler & auto-updater!  (Read 12369 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SysInternals auto-installler & auto-updater!
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:43 PM »
http://www.lerup.com/SISetup/  :Thmbsup:

SISetup

The Sysinternals set of freeware utility programs is a great software package. Once you have started using them it is almost impossible to get along without them.

Whenever I get to a new PC, one of the first things I do is to install e.g. the Process Explorer from Sysinternals. However, installation always requires some manual operations as the programs are delivered in zip-files and without installation programs. Another issue for lazy people like me is that the author Mark Russinovich quite often update the programs with new great functionality and checking for this and doing the manual update can be a bit tedious.

Due to this I created SISetup, a small program that facilitates installation of an arbitrary number of the Sysinternals utilities. Once installed it is also very easy to check for updates of these programs and when available the update will be installed automatically. I also wanted the program to be as simple as possible with no fuzz and to run without any prerequisites i.e. unzipping of the packages should be made by the program itself. The program is quite small, only 108 KB.

If you (like me) are addicted to the Sysinternals utilities you may find use for SISetup.

Installation and usage:

No specific package download is required, you just start the program from the link below. You can choose to either run the program directly or download it for a first virus check or alike. When starting the program for the first time you will get the usual warnings about running an unsigned application.

SISetup will install itself into a folder named Sysinternals in the "Program Files" directory. It will retrieve it's initial default settings from this site, see more ...

SISetup-main.gif

SISetup-menu.gif
http://www.lerup.com/SISetup/
 :-*
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:46 PM by Curt »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SysInternals auto-installler & auto-updater!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Nice find Curt  :Thmbsup:  I have always found it tedious updating them.

blackcat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:22 PM »
thanks curt. really useful

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:29 AM »
Nice! Nirsoft should do this also.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:19 AM »
I wish sysinternals would do something like this that is officially supported. This is a fantastic idea!

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:24 AM »
You guys are so soft! A bit of manual labour keeps you out of trouble on the street. In my day we had to rebuild the application from the source each time a new version came out[1]. Now everyone wants it easy...

:P

----
[1] There are some weird obscure cults where that kind of thing still happens!  :tellme:  ;)
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:37 AM »
[1] There are some weird obscure cults where that kind of thing still happens!  :tellme:  ;)

Like gentoo? :)

At least it's not much bother because of the 'emerge' system, and if you don't need X11, OpenOffice, FireFox... it works very well.
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57 AM »
Nice find, Curt  :Thmbsup:

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 08:31 AM »
Nice find indeed!

Since the Sysinternals apps are covered by http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/ I've so far just clicked the download link for any Sysinternal update, then select "open" (not save), wait for winrar, 7-zip etc to open and then extract all files to the relevant program folder. It all takes less than 20 seconds. But I'll give this auto-updater a go.

Hey I just got a related idea: maybe someone should make a "helper script" for the filehippo update checker. The script would monitor a specific folder (c:\uc for example) for updates and silently installs them when found. So users just save all updates (.exe, .zip ...) through update checker to that folder and the script does the rest. The script would need some (regularly updated) list of command line switches for the installer files.