ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Calendar/to-do manager with special repeat patterns (for students)

<< < (4/8) > >>

Armando:
VORG looks like an Outlook clone, so it would not be a surprise to find it hogging resources.
-Dormouse (February 10, 2008, 04:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

[off topic] Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I'm curious about the persistent idea that Outlook (2003) is a resource hog (I'm reading that quite a bit everywhere). I actually find Outlook quick with my 500mb PST file and not that much of a resource hog (especially considering all it does : email, calendar, tasks, notes, storage). On my system, it consumes between 3mb and 50mb depending on if it's minimized or not, cpu is at 0%  when it's not "active", and I don't remember seeing it go over 10%. That seems on par with other similar good apps I've tried... [/off topic]

Darwin:
[off topic]The main issue with Outlook in general is that if you leave an instance of it running, it gradually sucks up more and more of your RAM. The "fix" is to periodically bring it to the foreground, if it is set to minimize to the taskbar. Better yet, in my experience, set it to minimize to the system tray/notification area (right click the Outlook icon in the system tray and select "Hide when minimized".[/off topic]

Armando:
[off topic] Hummmm... thanks Darwin. So maybe I've never experienced the problem because I'm using Outlook a lot, so it gets minimized, maximized, trayed, etc. quite a bit during the day. Still, I've never seen use it more RAM than firefox  ;D... And, by what you say, it also seems that this RAM is easily gained back (unlike firefox for instance). [/off topic]

Dormouse:
[off topic] I find Outlook a total abomination. Have to use it at work. Frequently locks the whole computer when it is trying to do something like Search (and so slow there) or the network is overloaded or off or it is looking for the Exchange server.

Never have a problem like that with Firefox. I mostly use Opera with 2 instances running at home but there is usually one of FF and no problems.

Armando:
[off topic]Oh, maybe it's more network related. Because I have never had any problems with Outlook slowdowns, computer freezes, etc. And I've been using Outlook 2003 extensively for the last 4-5 years.  :huh:[/off topic]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version