ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Calendar/to-do manager with special repeat patterns (for students)

(1/8) > >>

alxwz:
In another forum, I came across a very interesting question regarding calendars (or task/to-do management apps), their repeat patterns and students' needs wrt learning and repeating.

The request was to find a calendar (IMO, a task manager that somehow collaborates with a calendar would be better) that can repeat a task/event after one day, one week and one month, one time each.
All calendars I know of only allow a repeat pattern of either daily or weekly or monthly, not a mix of those patterns.
Many to-do apps don't even have repeats, and those that do have the same shortcoming.
I was unable to find anything that can match these patterns.

Does anyone know of a viable solution?

The ultimate solution would
- work closely with a good calendar app (e.g. Outlook) without cluttering it,
- have templates for quickly creating those task in one step.

If it's a standalone app, a calendar would probably be preferrable to a to-do manager. A standalone to-do manager should be able to display a timescale.

I could even imagine an online solution that's iCalendar-enabled, so tasks could be subscribed to in Sunbird, Outlook or Apple's iCal.

BTW: What exactly is the difference, in English, between "to-dos" and "tasks"?

tomos:
I'm afraid the only thing I can help you with is the last question
via dictionary.com, the Online Etymology Dictionary description of "task"-
General sense of "any piece of work that has to be done" is first recorded 1593i.e. in this context they the same

alxwz:
I'm afraid the only thing I can help you with is the last question
via dictionary.com, the Online Etymology Dictionary description of "task"-
General sense of "any piece of work that has to be done" is first recorded 1593i.e. in this context they the same
-tomos (January 02, 2008, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I almost suspected that. Maybe "task" has some broader meaning, depending on context.

Regarding the original question, maybe that would be a trivial exercise for a VBA programmer.

Any takers?
(Disclaimer: It wasn't my own question, so I'm not gonna pay anything...)

Curt:
I believe ReminderFox, addon for Firefox and for Thunderbird, the can do this.

http://reminderfox.mozdev.org/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1191

{ada4b710-8346-4b82-8199-5de2b400a6ae}

alxwz:
Curt, thanks,

but from what I see on the ReminderFox website, I doubt that you can mix recurrence patterns.
Looks like you have to choose a certain pattern (yearly/monthly/weekly/daily) from a dropdown list.
Maybe you can set up multiple reminders, but that's hardly a solution for the situation I described.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version