topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: (Feature Request) Arrow keys to move windows inside grid  (Read 45614 times)

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: (Feature Request) Arrow keys to move windows inside grid
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Actually, the problem is a little different. Some windows don't resize to larger sizes than the screen. (windows explorer is a good example.) Thus, When you try to resize them using that second grid element, they don't get the correct size, and don't get identified as being in grid 2 when you press win+left. If you try that with a window that does resize to a size larger than the screen (which is very rare, from what i can see), you'll notice that it does work as expected.

Thanks for your analysis. You are right on target. I can understand such a limitation for first time Windows users, but once you start using such a convenient software as GridMove, this limitation is quite annoying.

My idea was to make a grid to hide the top 10% of windows in order to hide the application bar and application menus, so as to enjoy increased visible working space. But the bottom position of the window also gets raised, so it does not make much sense anyway.

Can you do something about it in GridMove: can you force windows to resize the window with a greater height than the screen's height? (maybe there is such an option in your resize function, who knows?).

The fact that so many windows refuse to resize above a certain height makes me think that this is more a Windows thing than an application-by-application limitation.  I wonder if there is a tweak in Windows that can remove this limitation?  I investigated registry settings here: http://www.virtualpl...esk_reg.html#metrics  but could not find any parameter relative to maximum window height. Any help on how to remove the window-max-height limitation in XP is welcome !

painz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 09:54 PM »
Oh, pardon me, it really doesnt shrink window now in .50, and by #2 i mean - when user presses win-arrow remember current window position and when all grids are being switched next win-arrow press restores window to its initial state. you know when you for example just want a quick glance what's behind current fullscreen window and press win-right you need to reach mouse to maximize it again, in my dream world win-left should bring it back as it was

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 05:49 AM »
I can see what you mean, painz. Currently, there's no way to implement that, it'd take a major change in the win+right feature i added and i don't have that time.

You can, however, use the "restore" grid element, which does just that. You press it once, and it'll resize to the last size that window had, you press it again and it'll go back to the size it had before you restored. (it's represented as "last size" and is present in the "edge grid", for example).

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Your idea on how to implement the horizontal/vertical cycle realy simplifies things, and maybe it really is the simplest way to implement it. I'll give it some thought.

Regarding step 2 of "cycle grid elements", i know exactly how to do it, but i'll have to wait for some time to implement it since it involves quite a few changes to the way gridmove works.

I think that you have done the hardest part with step1, and step2 will add a lot of value to the user, because it is very intuitive to move windows around with arrows. Could you tell me how you are doing with step2? May I expect a release soon?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 04:49 AM »
I still haven't started with it... I'm now on exams, got one tomorrow. But after that i'll be on vacations, and i'll do this and update the help file. (hopefully!)

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Hi, any chance to get a step2 version of gridmove anytime soon?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Sorry, i think i'll have to say no. I have a zillion DC stuff to do, and i'm not seeing any light on the end of the tunnel.
Sorry, life's chaotic over here right now, but i'm keeping this as one of my 7 DC tasks to do.

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work, good to know that step2 is in your top 7 DC tasks to-do.

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Hi, any light at the end of the tunnel? Did gridmove move up on your to-do-list of 7 DC tasks ?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Hello!

I'm really sorry, but my DC todo list has been very delayed... Last week my laptop's hard drive died :(
Fortunatelly, all DC-related source code was saved, but now i have to catch up on one week of school work!!

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Hi,

I am now working with 1 wide screen next to a bigger screen with bigger height. Using gridmove is very useful, however, I miss the feature to move around the active window with arrow keys discussed in this thread.

Could you give me a time frame for impementing this? If I can help you achieve this, please tell me (my programming skills are basic, but this feature should not be too difficult to code).

Cheers.

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Any thoughts? How can I help you implement this?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Hey ppass!

Sorry, but my response right now is no, it won't be implemented anytime soon.
For the past weeks i've been really struggling to keep up with school stuff, and haven't had time to do anything else (not even being with my girlfriend :( ).
Also, my exams start next week, thus, i don't predict things getting any better for at least the next two months...

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 03:46 AM »
Could you hint a date when you can implement the ideas discussed last January (step2 of Gridmove)?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Unfortunatelly, to be honest, I haven't developed GridMove in quite a while. Thus, you'd better not count on it.