ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > JGPaiva's GridMove and Ahk Tools

(Feature Request) Arrow keys to move windows inside grid

<< < (2/8) > >>

lanux128:
Maybe this could be added as a coding snack? I don't think it'd be that hard to reproduce freesnap with ahk...-jgpaiva (January 06, 2008, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

no, it's not that hard replicate FreeSnap's functions with AHK but since FreeSnap is already available, why not use it as some sort of internal app? e.g. those with FreeSnap already installed will get the extra features. just my 2ยข..

jgpaiva:
What do you mean with "internal app", lanux?

I said that, because it was mentioned that it didn't have support for multi-monitor.

ppass:
The reason why i don't know how to add this to gridmove is because it's not easy to detect which grid element is on the right or left of the current one. When we have a 3-part grid, or a 4 part grid, it's easy, but when we have something like the edge grid or something, things become very confusing...

Maybe this could be added as a coding snack? I don't think it'd be that hard to reproduce freesnap with ahk...-jgpaiva (January 06, 2008, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dont know what a "coding snack" is, but defenitely Gridmove should include moving the current window with arrow keys. Please note as per my previous comment that the aim is not to reproduce FreeSnap, as Freesnap just resizes/moves windows to the edge of the screen. Here is my proposal for GridMove:

Step 1: forget about physical location of zones inside a grid. Implement a simple zone increment like this: Zone1 -> Zone2 -> Zone 3-> etc.

Step 2: include physical location.
I understand the problem that you cannot detect which zone is on the right of the current one, etc.
I suggest that you let the user parameter this for you, for each grid. Example for a 6 zone grid:

horizontal arrows (user defined per grid):  Zone1 -> Zone2 -> Zone4 -> Zone5 -> Zone6 -> Zone3
Example: if the current zone is Zone1 and you hit the left arrow, the window should be moved to Zone3 of the grid.

vertical arrows (user defined per grid): Zone1 -> Zone4 -> Zone6 -> Zone3 -> Zone2 -> Zone5
Example: if the current zone is Zone4 and you hit the up arrow, the window should be moved to Zone6 of the grid.

My understanding was that you are willing to implement step1 and are waiting to have some time available to code this. Could you confirm this?

Once step1 is coded, step2 with this proposal should be a small step further ahead.

jgpaiva:
Ok,i added the "step 1" you mentioned (actually, it's pretty fun! Not sure if it's that useful, though).

To use it, download gridmove, run once, then edit the .ini file and replace the '0' on the SequentialMove key with a '1' and reload gridmove.
Then, to cycle grid elements, press win + right/left.

Regarding the step2, it'd have to be made in the following way: each grid element would say what was the grid on its right, the grid on its left and the grid on its top and bottom. I think it'd be quite a chore to implement and then to create grids with these features, though.

Armando:
Hummm... I just installed the new version, and Gridmove consumes a lot of CPU power for about 1.5 min, right after launching or reloading, and then it calms down. Anybody experiences such a thing ?

BTW, the cycling works well.  :Thmbsup:
Like you jpaiva, I'm not sure how useful that will be but it's another tool... Who knows...

Right now the hotkeys are :

CommandHotkey=#g
FastMoveModifiers=#

Could I change them to (because they conflict with FreeSnap's own hotkeys):

CommandHotkey=+^#g
FastMoveModifiers=+^#

I tried, but it didn,t seem to work...

And should that parameter have a value :

FastMoveMeta=

Thanks !  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index