ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > JGPaiva's GridMove and Ahk Tools

(Feature Request) Arrow keys to move windows inside grid

(1/8) > >>

ppass:
I will summarize my request made in the Gridmove thread, just to make it easier for you to manage feature requests.

I would like to improve fast move by using arrow keys. If the current window is in zone2,then:

- Modifier + "->" key:           moves it to zone3
- Modifier + "<-" key:           moves it to zone 1
- Modifier + page-up key:      moves it to last zone
- Modifier + page-down key: moves it to zone1

Ideally, you could move the window around physically (eg if zone8 is above zone2, then Modifier + up key moves window from zone2 to zone8). But I understand that this is difficult and could be done in a 2nd step.

To achieve this, you will have to detect the position of the active window. To do that, may I suggest this simple algorithm:

* Get the size of the active window (Top, Right, Bottom, Left)

* Loop through all zones defined in the grid (start with zone1)

*    If (Top == GridTop) and (Right == GridRight) and (Bottom == GridBottom) and (Left == GridLeft) then ZONE_FOUND ! ! ! get out of the loop

*   else, go to next zone in the grid

* Return to  beginning of loop

If you have trouble with getting the size of the active window, you may try the Windows API GetWindowRect function.

lanux128:
fantastic idea, ppass! did you had FreeSnap on your mind? :)

ppass:
Thanks for the link, I did not know FreeSnap before making this suggestion. I recommend the author of GridMove to try FreeSnap, this gives the idea. Basically, it is all about pressing arrow keys and moving the active window around and resizing it.

However, I am asking something more than FreeSnap. Freesnap for one thing does not support multi monitor, and just resizes windows to the edged of the screen. Using zones like in GridMove is much more powerful and flexible. I hope that one day it will be possible to physically move windows inside GridMove (eg. "up" key moves to the zone just above the current one, etc.), then it will be very intuitive.

lanux128:
yes, lack of multi-monitor support is a hindrance but i've contacted the author of FreeSnap and he replied that he is working on a new version that will include multi-monitor support. but i also believe that if GridMove incorporates this feature then all the better..

jgpaiva:
The reason why i don't know how to add this to gridmove is because it's not easy to detect which grid element is on the right or left of the current one. When we have a 3-part grid, or a 4 part grid, it's easy, but when we have something like the edge grid or something, things become very confusing...

Maybe this could be added as a coding snack? I don't think it'd be that hard to reproduce freesnap with ahk...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version