ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Best Games You've Never Played

<< < (11/13) > >>

Deozaan:
OMG!  I want more Descent!  I loved that game!  I don't really like flight sims... but that's pretty much what descent is when you think about it...  Now I have to go find a copy of D3 again...
-wraith808 (February 28, 2008, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

The difference between Descent and flight sims is that Flight sims require atmospheric reality, such as going a certain speed to maintain lift, going only forward (no reverse or vertical or sideways movement).

In Descent you're in space, you can go any direction at any time, at any speed.

Then they had to screw it up with Descent Freespace and go back to stupid atmospheric flight (minus the required speed to maintain lift) even though you're in space...

iphigenie:
Descent is more a shooter than a flyer, but thats what makes it such a classic - simple gameplay, total freedom of movement and action. Descent 4 is still on my games wishlist even though it has been dead years. One can still hope!!!!

There are some great things around descent 1 and 2 due to the games' sources being released, so it can run under xp and vista etc. Also you can play descent 1 in the engine of descent 2 (graphics and AI)  :Thmbsup: I gathered some links under http://iphi.net/index.php/games/descent/, http://iphi.net/index.php/games/Descent_2/ and http://iphi.net/index.php/games/Descent_3/

Theres also a doom3 mod trying to build descent as a doom 3 mod - made me look at doom3 on ebay!

I recently found the descent soundtrack and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like meeting an old friend

f0dder:
Yeah it was a shame. I only played Red Faction 1 on PS2, so I think it was more a limit of the hardware. I heard Red Faction 3 is in production so maybe they'll improve that limit.-Deozaan (February 28, 2008, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dunno what the limit was exactly - probably to conserve memory, and there were probably some multiplayer considerations as well. I tried reversing the executable to remove the limit, but didn't feel like doing a superbig job of it, and I couldn't count (in-game...) the exact maximum number of deforms you could do, so I ended up giving up.

iphigenie:
I'm pretty sure keeping the landscape deformations in sync between 12 people playing online is quite a challenge.

Red faction multiplayer is still going well after all these years, there's still servers and people. The same goes for descent 2!

f0dder:
I'm pretty sure keeping the landscape deformations in sync between 12 people playing online is quite a challenge.-iphigenie (February 29, 2008, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Dunno about that, really - iirc the game follows standard client/server architecture, so everything has to go through the server, and thus there aren't really any syncing problems that I can think of... at least not wrt. count of deformations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version