ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

This coming year, I am SOO looking forward to __________ .

<< < (2/11) > >>

f0dder:
I know plenty of people here in .dk that set their income tax too high, so they'll get tax return at the end of the year... simply because they're so lousy at abstaining from spending money if they have any :)

app103:
Sorry, I'm trying real hard to stifle a rant, but the way you twice referred to "getting my income tax" as if it's a good thing has me wanting to explode.

You don't get income tax  :eusa_naughty:. You pay it (and pay it some more). Indeed, you're not getting anything. What they'll be sending to you, commonly called an "income tax return" is a reimbursement of excess withholding taxes, based on the current tax regulations.

To be clear: when you get your income tax return, no one is giving you anything. It's money that was already yours, because they took too much out of your pay. You're not getting anything free. Far from it, you've just been nice enough to give your Uncle Sam an interest-free loan in that amount for the past year. Pretty generous of you, wasn't it  ;)
-CWuestefeld (December 31, 2007, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

That isn't entirely true. Many families in the US qualify for an "Earned Income Credit" on top of a return of whatever they paid in. This can more than double the amount in some cases.

This was how I saved money every year for my daughter's college fund. Every tax refund check went into it. As long as we were claiming her as a dependant, and our income was below a certain amount, they sent us some whopping checks that were much more than we paid in.

ChalkTrauma:
Got a new baby boy, 5 months old now ( first child ), looking forward to the first walk, talk, and line of code :)

@ Jammo: good luck with the psych stuff, I understand where you are coming from, your positive outlook is a great first step..  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical:
Sorry, I'm trying real hard to stifle a rant
-CWuestefeld (December 31, 2007, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
But surely... paying taxes is a privilege  :)

mouser:
This coming year, I am SOO looking forward to: Programming, Programming, Programming.  And maybe some writing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version