ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

This coming year, I am SOO looking forward to __________ .

<< < (6/11) > >>

iphigenie:
After 5 years of working around the clock for peanuts in a company I started, I got "engineered" out in 2006 (and divested of all my investment in it too, long story, and yes i let it happen cause i couldnt destroy the company i had started, and it was a painful choice). 2006 was the year it all crashed down and i realised I had stopped seeing friends and having hobbies due to work work work... 2007 was the year of emerging back from this

I took a long time to get out of it but then in 2007 I first had a very lucrative 6 months contract which turn into a slightly less lucrative but still very nicely paid job, in a setting which is respectful of people, life, time etc.  And having a lucrative job when you learned to live spending very little and buying everything second hand means I am quickly rebuilding financial health and not spending much of it  :Thmbsup:

This year I am ready to start having a life and hobbies again - and since I dont need to code in my day job anymore (i only coach and manager people who do, from the cto position) I am pondering how to take it on as a hobby again ;)

So I am looking forward to enjoy a stable year with space for things outside work  :Thmbsup:

In short for me 2008 will be a year of

Regrouping
Get back in touch more with all these friends I lost contact with.
Revive hobbies and projects I have left behind when things got busy - photography, painting, hiking, programming for fun and a few others
Read the books I already have, play the games I own, listen again to all the music I have....

Refocusing
Get rid of clutter and useless things.
Stop wasting time - there are enough good things to get entertained with not to waste time on empty stuff.
Start doing the things I always want to do but never get around to - write a few more things, develop my dusty site, start a more "promotional" site, scan all my photos, and more

Daleus:
At the top of the list, adopting a son.

Also:

2. Planting my first vegetable garden.
3. Fixing both sets of doors on the barn and other misc barn repairs.
4. Settng up a paper making station and a silk-screening station in the barn.
5. Pruning the wild raspberry patch out back into someting that will produce fruit.
6. Building and using a cider press for the old untended apple trees out back until I can get *them* pruned into usefulness.
7. Hopefully, admiring the rosebushes I transplanted last fall, bloom into splendiferousness.

Darwin:
Nice list, Daleus! I hope you are succesful in realising the first of your goals  :Thmbsup:

CWuestefeld:
5. Pruning the wild raspberry patch out back into someting that will produce fruit.
6. Building and using a cider press for the old untended apple trees out back until I can get *them* pruned into usefulness.
7. Hopefully, admiring the rosebushes I transplanted last fall, bloom into splendiferousness.
-Daleus (February 06, 2008, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that pruning really does anything for the productivity of raspberries -- at least not mine. They grow like the dickens, and also produce piles of fruit. But last fall I mowed over most of my raspberries, they were completely taking over the landscaping beyond my control. If they come back, maybe I'll be able to control them; if not, well, I've still got the ones in the woods.

Rosebushes are positively my enemy. They grow wild everywhere, and cause some serious bleeding when I'm mowing near the edges of the lawn where they are trying to encroach. The best answer to these, I think, is Round-Up early in the spring.

Do you have any more information on pressing cider? I've got a mess of old apple trees way out in the woods (I suspect it was an orchard way back when) and I sure do love cider. Next fall I could have DonationCider  :P

Darwin:
Hey! Donationcider... I like it. Sounds like a nice new direction to take Donationcoder  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version