topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IE is working, Firefox is not. Why?  (Read 17205 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IE is working, Firefox is not. Why?
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:21 AM »
I don't know what's happening, but all of a sudden, my firefox stopped working ("server not found" message for all addresses).  However, IE still works.  I don't know exactly what's changed on my computer, but it's been left on for a few days and here's what I think I've done during that time:
--I installed Netlimiter.
--I used utorrent to download some large files, and when I did, it seemed like I couldn't use the internet because it was overloaded or something.
--I think Firefox got updated (minor updates) a couple of times.

So I don't know what's happening.  Netlimiter has a firewall that I've turned off.  Also, I use Kaspersky IS with the firewall turned off.  I have a linksys cable modem and linksys wifi router.  Utorrent still works even though firefox doesn't.  Also, my I can't send any pop3 email anymore.

My Windows network connections shows my IP address to be the 192... address assigned by my router and when I click on details, none of the IP's are the actual outside IP (which should be 76...).  I have DHCP enabled (although I don't exactly know what it means).

I guess I'm just not understanding why IE and torrent is working, but nothing else is including email and Firefox.  And I haven't really changed anything.  Anyway, thanks for any advice.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IE is working, Firefox is not. Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings

Make sure direct connection to the internet (the top one) is selected and not the proxy option.

<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 11:46 AM »
It has always been on direct connection.  So I don't know why it stopped working suddenly.

Here's what I think the problem is.  Before, when I go into the Windows Network Connections and click on the details, I get a bunch of IP numbers listed there.  Usually, one of them would be the WAN number from outside (76.xxx.xxx.xxx), but now they are all showing 192.168.1.10, which is the LAN number than my router gives the computer.  Somehow, firefox and some other programs like my email are not seeing the outside WAN number anymore, but IE is and so is the torrent program.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Hm, it sounds like you went from a direct connection (which is bad) to a NAT'ed connection (which is good) - this by itself should cause any problems (except if you have services running that you need to access from the outside, you'll need to set up port forwarding then).

No proxy settings for firefox? No malware that has messed with NDIS? Can you access your router configuration? (probably http://192.168.1.1 , but ymmv).
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Yes, I can access my linksys router configuration, but I don't know what to change.  But I still don't get why it would all of a sudden change like this, and why IE still works, torrent works, but email doesn't work (the bat), firefox doesn't work.  I have some port forwarding set up already for some applications, but I never needed it for email and firefox, but maybe I'll set it up for that also.  However, I don't know how to setup a port forwarding for firefox (can you help) and same for the Bat.  What ports do I use, etc.?

Here's a screenshot of my settings:
Screenshot - 9_30_2007 , 2_58_30 PM.png
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:00 PM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:25 AM »
OK, some more information.

I started my computer in Safe Mode with Networking, and Firefox works fine!  Now what?  How come it doesn't work in normal mode?

I think Netlimiter screwed something up, but it's uninstalled and I'm still having problems.  I think my router is fine, but something is blocking firefox and the bat from working right.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:37 AM »
Actually i just noticed on your settings the DNS server is your router, I was doing that for a long time and it worked ok, but then it stopped, i had no idea why, after a brief call to my ISP support they told me to change the DNS to the one they recommend, so I did, no more trouble.

May not be your problem but could be worth a try

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 02:11 AM »
May be one of the add-ons is the trouble maker? Try disabling all of them.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 03:35 AM »
superboyac: does your network settings change in safe mode?

Could be a netlimiter filter driver left behind that screws up things... could be a lot of things. Does seem a bit suspicious that DNS server is set to your router, though - never seen that done before (with hardware routers anyway).
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:37 AM by f0dder »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Actually i just noticed on your settings the DNS server is your router, I was doing that for a long time and it worked ok, but then it stopped, i had no idea why, after a brief call to my ISP support they told me to change the DNS to the one they recommend, so I did, no more trouble.

May not be your problem but could be worth a try
I'll check that out and see if I can do something.

One thing that my cousin and I came up with yesterday is that maybe by installing Netlimiter, which has a firewall in it, it conflicted with the firewall in Kaspersky.  You know how they say you shouldn't install two antivirus programs or two firewall programs at the same time?  Well, maybe it screwed something up by doing that.  Maybe the solution is to uninstall Kaspersky and reinstall it from scratch.

superboyac: does your network settings change in safe mode?

Could be a netlimiter filter driver left behind that screws up things... could be a lot of things. Does seem a bit suspicious that DNS server is set to your router, though - never seen that done before (with hardware routers anyway).
I didn't check the network settings in safe mode, I'll do that later.  All I know is that firefox worked fine.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 12:21 AM »
Well, I tried changing my DNS settings to these two numbers that were in my router's config, but that didn't help.  I also looked at my network settings while in safe mode, and they were the same as in normal mode.  Even with the altered dns settings, firefox worked in safe mode.

I'm really thinking about uninstalling Kaspersky and seeing if that does the trick.  The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 12:12 AM »
Well, for anyone interested...

I uninstalled Kaspersky and everything is back to normal!  Yes!  So, the old adage is true, multiple firewalls and/or antivirus programs don't exist well together.  i will soon reinstall Kaspersky and hopefully everything will still be working.  Thanks for the help guys, but, honestly, you were no help.  It was all me.

Just kidding, I'm in a good mood, that's all.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 07:50 AM »
In the future if you encounter such a problem, it could be that your winsock chain gets corrupted. If so, you could try:
netsh winsock reset
Followed by an immediate reboot of the system.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 10:13 AM »
Very interesting!  I will save that and remember it.  Is that what normally causes firewalls to conflict with each other in cases like this?

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Very interesting!  I will save that and remember it.  Is that what normally causes firewalls to conflict with each other in cases like this?

Not really, as I think most firewalls installs as a ring 0 driver. However, many security programs install parts of itself as a winsock provider and can cause anything from slow connections to no network access at all. Applications like virus scanners that has a http scanner will always(?) install a component there.

If you want to check out if you have anything redundant there, you can use the "autoruns" sysinternals tool :Thmbsup:
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

davidmisa

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 08:56 AM »
hey yall i have a similar problem, on my lappy only ie connects to the internet. bittorrent, the new msn messenger, firefox, kazza, limewire, and a buch of other things that need to connect to the internet just wont. what gives? oh the old msn that comes with xp works
and ive done everything from completely removing the firewall to messing around with the lan adresses, almost everything i think, the only thing thats left is to reinstall xp
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:57 AM by davidmisa »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 10:26 AM »
go into safe mode with networking, and see if the programs work in there.  If they do, then you have some kind of software conflict like I did.

jseamless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 08:36 PM »
This sight helped me fix the firefox not working issue.