topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: App launchers and 'run as' another user  (Read 6766 times)

songless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
App launchers and 'run as' another user
« on: December 31, 2007, 07:34 AM »
Hi, I'm new here  :-[

I'm looking for an application launcher ( with autohide bars and icons, I'm a mouse guy ) that allows to run any of the programs like a different user if you want to, but if possible without typing the password all the time ( very dangerous if you have a nice keylogger at memory ).

For example, there is a .net utility called Raise my Rights that generates a shortcut that runs the program under the user you want, and the password is saved encrypted with salt and so on. Using that shortcut you don't need to type the password but creatring all the shortcuts you need is a pain in the ass.

Currently I am using PowerPro as my app launcher because it's very powerful for creating nice bars with several fonts, colors... but only one copy of PowerPro is allowed to run  :huh: and of course I use a limited user account.

Windows Vista with UAC gives a relative solution to this, but how to implement something similar in XP ? Any idea ?

Thanks !

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: App launchers and 'run as' another user
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:02 AM »
Hm, if all it takes is a click, then it doesn't matter if the password is encrypted, as the application will be doing automatic decryption... it's usually a trivial matter to find the encryption algo+key, or dump from memory... just so you don't think this is more secure than it is.

But being able to launch stuff with other user credentials IS a nice idea :)
- carpe noctem

songless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:18 AM »
I'm currently using an AutoHotKey script compiled with encryption option for launching apps with different credentials, something like:

if %1% = "Restricted"
  RunAs, %2%, pass
else if %1% = "Admin"
  RunAs, %2%, adminPass
else if ...

But for example, when I want to run uTorrent with a very restricted account ( only read/write rights to its own folder ), I have to manually edit in PowerPro a new entry with COMPILED_SCRIPT.EXE as the program and "restricted D:\bin\uTorrent\..." as arguments.
So it's very boring to add new entries under special accounts. For Process Explorer or AutoRuns I have the same for the admin account.

Launcher like PStart has an Run as... option, but you have to type the password all the time.
I agree that if the pass is decrypted at memory it wouldn't be very difficult to capture it, but not so easy like calling SetWindowsHookEx() and capture the keys.

jp10558

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:04 AM »
Maybe Sudowin? You can configure how long it remembers your password... Otherwise, I use AutoIT scripts sort of like the AutoHotKey script above (I just find v3 in AutoIT easier to use syntax wise).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:35 AM »
id like to see a farr plugin for this.

songless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:08 AM »
One year and three months later, I continue looking for the same app launcher. Probably it's time for trying to develop it myself, but man it's so HUGE amount of work to build a decent app launcher...

Advanced Windows users don't use several accounts for launching stuff ?  It's the same with Linux users ?
Any decent and minimalistic open source app launcher to begin with ?  The portableApps.com launcher it's pretty simple but I don't actually like it much

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:10 AM »
we really do need a farr plugin for this. anyone?

songless

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I'll play a bit with the SDK , I've seen there is a wrapper for C# so it's a good oportunity to some fast prototyping.
My intention is to develop again native win32 code since 4 years without doing it, so if the thing works I'll try with a native version... at least I wish